Are morning glories poisonous?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, May 8, 2005.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got the mire in the pigpen festering away and I've scattered straw and ashes in there to help compost it. I won't be raising pigs again for at least a year, so I thought I should also throw some seeds in there, too. Then I've also got a whole bunch of volunteer morning glories (ipomoea) popping up near the house. So I thought, maybe I should toss the morning glory seedlings in there, too, and at least I'll have some nice flowers filling it up too.

My question is, are moring glories poisonous to pigs, since if I let them run rampant there they will still be there when I feed out some weaners again?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I wouldn't do it. Bind weed is really hard to get rid of once it is in the ground, and the roots will give those pigs the trots like you wouldn't believe. Morning glory root was once sold as a cathartic.

Edited to add: why don't you grow something like Jerusalem artichoke in there? Pigs will have a real feast when they get in with it.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have read that chewing the morning glory seeds will create a sensation comparable to LSD. The vines, when eaten, do not appear to hurt animals

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Not that I had any dealings with any such thing in the '60's, but it was widely "rumored" that 300 Heavenly Blue Morning Glory were roughly equivilent to 1 hit of LSD 25.

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

:eek: Maybe not such a good idea then...nothing like pigs on acid :eek:

Guess I'll find something else to toss in there!

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I know all my info says they are poisonous to goats....

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

So that's how they fly?! :haha: