Are mis-matched twins normal? (pic)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Jun 21, 2006.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

So, here it is a year after kidding, and the "twins" are like night and day!

The wether is as big as his momma and heavier, but the doeling is still tiny-tiny-tiny!

From Left to Right: Doeling (Trouble), Wether (Sparky), Momma (Cayenne)

I call this pic "Goat Jail"!

[​IMG]

P.S. I've always assumed they were part Alpine, what do you all think??

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I'd say Alpine is definately in there. As for the size difference, I have a yearling doe who is such a peanut...her sister, who I since lost to pneumonia, was much bigger.

Ruth

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

did you buy her alreaddy bred? or do you know what buck she was bred too? in mixbreeding anything is possible, its all in how the genetic material recombines and sence the doe is a mix, and the buck could possibly be anything you just have a mixed up family, nothing unusual about that, does the doe have good udder attachment and have you milked her? how big did she bag out? if she only had an avarage supply of milk and the male kid was more aggressive he may have gotten the bigger share of milk and that could have played a role in why he is bigger than she is, there are just alot of variables but nothing out of the ordinary really

4. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

sounds normal from what I have seen around here
    but how do you keep them in that little fence mine would have there head stuck in that fence three different ways and I would have to cut them out

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I have Kinder goats, which several generations back were a cross between a Pygmy buck and a Nubian doe . . . sometimes we still get babies that seem to be throwbacks to either the Nubian or the Pygmy genetics. I have one doe this year, out of quads, who is half the size of the others, and probably always will be. They were bottle babies, so I know how much milk they got and that had nothing to do with her diminutive size (she's adorable, by the way! Jumps out through the spaces in the cattle panels and follows me around while I do chores! And she'll probably be a good milker, too). In fact, at this point she's probably eating better than the other babies, since she can let herself out of the pen anytime she wants to and eat green stuff, while they only get to eat green stuff when I let them out for a few minutes at a time (they always have alfalfa hay available, though).

I bought two kids, a buck and a doe out of a set of quads, in order to bring another line of Kinders to our area. These are first generation, which means their mother is a Nubian doe and their father is a Pygmy buck. Anyway, the doe is the same size as my other, normal-sized, Kinder doe kids the same age. The buck is large, and will possibly even be over-sized for the Kinder breed standard. I'll use him anyway, because I'm more interested in milk than in showing, and my two-year-old buck is a little on the short side, so they should balance each other out eventually.

Kathleen

6. jill.costello

Only that little section of the fence is that 6"x6" woven wire; the rest is utility panel at 5"x5" (I think). Only the doeling can get her head through, but she's also very good at getting her head out, too.

The goaties have a healthy respect for the coyotes that howl in the distance, and consider their yard their "home-base". They just don't try to get out, since they're only in there from 7:00pm to 8:00am, and get fed in there, to boot.

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I would not worry, We all grow at our own pace, plus how old was he before he was banded? That has a lot to do with how fast they grow. By the way that picture is great. :) They all looks so cute.

8. jill.costello

The father of the twins is rather a celebrity around here- (a big, good natured boy)

He belongs to friends, and is a full-sized dairy buck standing right at my hip (his withers) and probably weighing 175#.

He is know for passing on those lovely, lovely faces with those precious tiny muzzles.

Friends just say they bought him (grade) for his good looks, so my guess is he's high-percentage Alpine and SOMETHING else....

About half of his daughters have wattles, half do not. Everyone gets the airplane ears, though!

9. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

I agree that it sounds normal. Looks normal, too. Everyone of my twins have been that way so far. Those boys are piggies with the milk. :)

Malissa

10. KSALguy

take a pic of him if you can and let us see,
    are you going to keep the doeling for milking?
    how was the mother for milk production?

11. jill.costello

I was worried about breeding the doeling, ever, because of her small size- she's definately not 70# yet, and doesn't look like she ever will be.

The gray doe (Cayenne) developed a beautiful udder with perfect hand-sized teats great for hand milking, but when she freshened, the twins both decided to nurse from just one side. I hand milked her other side just to relieve the pressure, and didn't do anything else on the advice of my husband (who was a dairy man in Ireland in his youth). His advice was that the twins would start sucking from both teats as they got older and needed more milk.

Well, they didn't! That sweet doe nursed them both from that one teat, and her udder got lopsided, and I got all the rich, creamy milk I needed from the other, smaller side. Maybe a quart a day?

That yearling wether still nurses to this day, when he can get his momma to stand still (and she does). The doeling weaned herself months ago.

Never thought of breeding Cayenne back because of her mishappen udder, now. Would it even out with a second freshening??

I will try to find pics of the buck.

12. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Honestly.... looks like a lil Oberhasli in her. that would account for "some" of the smaller stature.... IF that's in her lines. Give her time, she may grow.

Kaza

13. KSALguy

i would separate the wither off so she can dry up, and let her udder go back to normal then breed her, next time if they only nurse off of one side, wich i cant see why they would tape up that side and make them use the other, then after they get the hint take the tape off,
    when they have it evend out, separate the kids off at night and milk her off in the morning then let the kids have her the rest of the day,
    wait till the doeling is about a year and then breed her, dont breed her to a boer, but eather a pygme or even her dad would do, i had a couple does that size bred to a Nubian buck and they did fine, i did have to help one kid out due to an poor presentation but other than that they did fine