Are meat by-products still fed to cattle?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Terri, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I THOUGHT that was still going on, but the news claims it has not been fed for 10 years.

With this flap about mad cow disease, I tell you that the idea of eating beef makes me nervous, right now.

Then again, if they are NOT feeding meat scraps to cattle, the possibility of it spreading seems remote.

Can you tell me what the current practices are?

Thanks

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

My understand is you cannot feed meat and bone meal from ruminants to other ruminants for about the last six years. It is still allows for other species.

Ken S. in WC TN

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

That is incorrect. Meat and bone meal is not allowed in ruminant feed. They still use animal by-products, such as porcine blood meal, ground up chicken feathers and other nasty stuff, but no meat and bone meal from anything.

Jena

4. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Does it happen though?? Probably. Also, you can feed cattle by products to pigs and chickens and then they are rendered down and fed back to cattle. Go figure.

Carol K

5. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

it has been illegal for several years before the mad cow outbreaks in europe to feed ruminants to ruminants. except that ruminants could be used in feeds given to wildlife including deer (which also included captive raised deer). it is generally believed that CWD developed from this process. i see no reason why it cannot make the jump back to domestic animals. i also see no reason why swine & poultry that were fed infected ruminants could not be a vector w/o having any actual disease. JMO