Are Hyacinth Beans edible?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by southrngardngal, Oct 26, 2005.

1. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I have hyacinth beans growing on a trellis and they are covered with the beans and pods. I read in some articles that hyacinth beans are edible and then in other articles that they are toxic.

Have any of you ever eaten hyacinth beans and if you have are the good?
    Also, how did you cook them?

Thanks.

Jan

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I haven't eaten them, but I found this:
    Young immature pods are cooked and eaten like green beans (older pods may need to be de-stringed). They have a strong, beany flavor and some people like to mix them with other beans or green vegetables. Unfortunately, the purple color disappears during cooking. Young leaves are eaten raw in salads and older leaves are cooked like spinach. Flowers are eaten raw or steamed. The large starchy root tubers can be boiled and baked. The immature seeds can be boiled and eaten like any shelly bean. Dried seeds should be boiled in two changes of water before eating since they contain toxic levels of cyanogenic glucosides. In Asia the mature seeds are made into tofu and fermented for tempeh. They are also used as bean sprouts.
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/D/doli_lab.cfm