Are honeysuckle berries edible?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by flutemandolin, Aug 13, 2004.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Just curious. I have a bunch of them at the edge of my woods and I didn't put two and two together and figure out what they were until today!

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Some honeysuckles have poisonous berries and some do not. Red tartarian (pinkish flowers and orange/red berries) is def. poisonous, as is Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle with the yellowish flowers and black berries). I have no idea which ones are not considered poisonous.

3. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Yeah, it's hard to get info on them from a search engine because there are conflicting reports; I even found a recipe for honeysuckle jelly! I'm not sure what species these are, but they are definitely not Japanese. They might be Morrow's honeysuckle.

I found one interesting bit of info; apparently where cedar waxwings consume large quantities of them the tips of their tail feathers turn from yellow to orange because of pigments in the berries!

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

The bush honeysuckle with big blue berries is edible. I wouldn't take a chance with the vine honeysuckle. Just leave them for bird food.