Are homesteaders cheap

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TNHermit, Aug 28, 2005.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Seems like the National Anthem of this country anymore is CHEAP.
    How much cheap crap can they stuff ina house.
    Its no wonder you can't find a decent paying job.

I homestead and if I can't grow it,make it,make due etc then i have to buy it. But I don't go lookin for the cheapest piece of crap i can find. I want to but it and forget about it and have it around for twenty years. Am I the only one like this. :shrug:

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Americans want cheap.

Look at the crap they call furniture. Most of it is cardboard/fibreboard or pressed wood.
    Give me an old oak table anyday.

Look at the crap coming out of Detroit. Fix Or Repair Daily (aka Ford), GM & Daimler Chrysler are constanting looking for ways to cheapen their products and shorten their useful life.
    Give me a Toyota anyday. Sure they cost more, but they're worth it.

Televisions, computers and electronic items continue to spiral downward in price. If you know a television repairman or a computer repair technician.....they probably have switched careers. Use it for a relatively short time......and toss it in the trash bin.

Look at China Mart. Americans can't get enough of the crap stocked at Wally World.

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Heavy manufacturing is global, there is no such thing as an American made car. More accurate to call it American assembled.
    Yes people love cheap crap, that's why Walmart is the world's largest retailer. I've been in Walmart twice to make a quick scan of the place. The cheap stuff is pure crap, the quality goods are priced the same or higher as any other place. I buy locally. Also their employment and business practices turn my stomach. As for all the oak funiture, give me a break. I buy maple, cherry, walnut etc. Its getting harder and harder to find quality furniture as the American furniture makers are being driven out of the market by the demand for oak. Thirteen years ago I bought my maple dining set for $2000. If you can find it now it is over $6000. That main reason for that high price is the low demand for quality furniture. Leavitts has destroyed most of the old furniture manufacturers. I also buy kit furniture from the few New England companies left. Wonderful wood, top quality materials. I could go on, but won't.

4. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Y
    Yep, fiddlekat those are the ones that I am talking about. Sometimes I can find those old grinders at thrifty stores for a good price. I have also lucked out and found an old flour shifter, potato masher and strainer.
    I have also found some old cookbooks. BTW I went to a yardsale and found cast iron skillets for $5.00. :goodjob: These were old.
    I found thrown in a dump pile highback oak chairs in good condition. Yep, I brought those home. Some cool finds in dump piles.
    tnborn

5. Dustybottoms

Dustybottoms Member

On another thread I mentioned Amish furniture. It isn't necessarily cheaper cost wize but the quality is excellent. It will last a long time and you can often get it custom made. The price of Amish furniture can be comparable to a regular furniture store. Btw, I don't use paper tableware and I really like using camp plates and cups(you know the plates that look like pie plates). They are not only cheap but they don't crack and break. My family likes them because evrything stays on the plates while eating.
    Dustybottoms

6. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

JUST my kind of thread. Yummy! :D Yesterday my wife (oh, wait, "DW" for you Internet Nerds, LOL!) and I went to the local Tractor Supply store and stood in amazement of the crap they sell disguised as gardening tools. You know, the crap where the blade of the hoe is baically welded together pieces of metal that eventually separate from the end of the pole. Absolute junk. It's funny that corporations today claim that they're trying to cut back on costs, when the junk they produce and sell just winds up costing the customers even more. I think it's all pretty obvious. :D

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

That's the one thing I like about Maine. We have a big weekly that is full of things other people want to sell. I have sold things in it also. Bought my car a radio for $30 when I spilled coffee on the original. Plus there are resale and discount stores around here, and the LLBean outlet. :rock: I was even thinking of making a trip to the New Balance outlet store.
    Even so, I hardly buy anything, even with 3 kids. TG my neighbor has 4 kids. And 2 more older ones down the street. Most of my money goes towards animals.
    I also have an Isuzu, made in Ohio. (of imported parts)

8. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I don't believe homesteaders are cheap.

I think we have evolved to the point where we understand what 'conspicuous consumption " is all about. - We don't like it, don't want to have anything to do with it.

We understand we don't have to keep up with the Joneses to have a full life.
    We have an understanding of, and are comfortable with ourselves.

We know we don't have to reinvent the wheel, but can take what's been done and have the freedom to push it further in new and novel ways - in other words, think outside the box.

:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

9. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Another vote to use the word- frugal.
    Them as will buy the china mart "cheap" stuff will sooner than later pay the price for buying junk.
    Take wrenches and sockets. (refering to those made on the other side of the Pacific) They look nice and shiney in the package. But just wait till you have to put a bunch of pressure on them. And when your honking on that socket and it snaps---- woops----- Now you gotta rush to the ER to close up that gash in your hand. Yup....your cheapness has just cost you a bunch.
    Far better to buy good tools (furniture, grinders) in the first place.

my $0.03

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

NOTHING beats old furniture in my book,get a classic and stick with it.Geez I wish I had done that in my 20s.Pressed board stuff is useless fire wood,period.
    Antique appliances hand turned stuff lasts forever too,great stuff.

BooBoo