Are goats and chickens ok together?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kittikity, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

I was thinking of eventually having goats and chickens living out of the same shelter.. The chickens will have their own seperate little door to get into the area for their food and roosting.. But they will have the same grazing area.. Didn't know if maybe the goats wouldn't like the chickens around or something.. Just didn't want to have them together and then end up in a bad situation from something I hadn't forseen..

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I have young goats and young geese together. It seems to be working out okay but I do see the goats half-heartedly chase the geese sometimes.

3. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Do you milk or store grain/hay in the goat shelter? The chickens will get on everything and POOP! Been there done that. Now if ou are talking about using the same pasture, as long as it's big enough, fine. But goats will not eat grass that chickens poo all over. They will roost anywhere they can find a perch and did I mention that chicken poo will be all over everything? Lesson learned the HARD way......lynpea

4. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Goats LOVE chicken feed, so you'll have to hang up the chicken feeders. My goats got into the chicken feed with no ill effect, but I caught them before they gorfed too much.

5. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

My very young buck got into the chicken pen.... and had a grand time chasing chickens. LOL The neighbor said he'd chase them, tossing his head at them to make them fly.... then he'd jump into the window (standing on the sill). He'd watch them till they settled down, then jump down to chase somemore. It was a wonderful game for him. :rolleyes: My neighbor said she stood at her kitchen window watching and laughing till she nearly peed her pants (then she called me). :p

But I've seen lots of pictures of goats and chickens living together. I think they'd do fine if there was enough space, and the chicken feed was put up. But the chickens will LOVE roosting on top of the hay manger.... pooping all over your little goats food. :cool: And at feeding time for the goat, you'd have to keep the chickens away. Cause if not they'll just rush in and steal all it's food. Mine did that to my dog.

I say...... if it HAS to be done fine. But it would be better/easier if they each had their own pens. Personally, if I let chickens and goats together it would only be in the free-range area. The chickens would still clean all the scraps they could find under the feeding area/hay manger, and would still roost some on the manger, but for the most part would be running in the grass.

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I have chickens and other types of birds right next to my goats. They all get alone good and the chickens in my bigger goats pen will help keep the worms down. I have all my feed in different things so no chicken poo will get in it. Also when I go to feed my goats I feed the chickens and other birds right when I feed the goats so no trouble with them stealing food but also I have a lot of woods in back so my chickens do lots of eatting back in there.

Good Luck on yours .

7. Kittikity

What I meant about them sharing a shed is that the structure would be the same.. As for the chicken's part of the shed it would be blocked off from the rest of the shed by a wall of wire.. It would have a small chicken sized hole for an entrance, the area for their food, roosting, and egg boxes, and then the wire wall.. The goats would not be able to get into the chicken area at all..

As for the chickens pooing on the goat food, I planned on putting all animal food in small garbage bins.. This is to keep them from eating each other's food and to help prevent rats and such from getting into the food.. They will also get fed in the morning in seperate buckets so everybody gets fed evenly and in case of special diets.. All that would be left as for the food is to make something to keep the chickens from sitting on the hay feeder.. The shed would be open all the time for the goats to be able to go in and out.. I plan on making double doors on each side to create a breeze way since it gets so hot in Florida..

The grazing area would probably be about an acre to maybe 1.5 acres of our yard, fenced in with welded wire or something similar.. This will keep in the goats and the chickens and give them all plenty of area to peck around or graze..

I was just mostly concerned about the goats being mean to the chickens.. But if there's anything else I should think about, let me know..

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if you set your barn up KNOWING what to expect you wont have chicken droppings over anything you dont have goat droppings on, maybe even less,
    the only things you need to know is not to have ANY way for the Goats to get to the Chicken feed, they will over eat and bloat,
    you need to be sure there is NOT ANY roost above ANY feed container you will use for the goats, ie: feed pan, milk stand feed slot, ect.
    yes chickens will roost all over inside the barn, you can start them out all in the chicken side and for a while at least that will work great BUT if there are any Good Roost sites in the Goat side the chickens will move eventually, but thats still ok as long as they are Not over anything you dont want poop on and thats easy to fix one way or the other,
    the chickens will eat the bugs out of the goat yard, and keep the manuer piles turned and dry, as well as cleaning up any spilt grain on the goat side,
    like i said as long as you dont have anything important below where the chickens roost you will be ok,

9. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

No one has mentioned it so I will
    There is the chance of Cocci with having the chickens pened up in with the goats if the chickens will be messing on their hay and roosting in the area that the goats are living. I know alot of people don't believe they can but do a serch on the subject and it will show that they can.

My 2 cents
    Okay now for the dissagreements :)

APPway

10. Kittikity

Ok, so I'll have to figure in a seperate fenced area for the chicken for the health of the goats.. It's ironic, but I was worried about the goats hurting the chickens.. Hadn't thought about how chickens could affect the goats.. Thanks for everybody's input..

11. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

:D In all my searching, I've found more often people say that coccidia is species specific. Meaning, chickens and goats can not get coccicia from eachother, nor can dogs give/get coccidia from them.

Sorta the same as with some other stuff. Cats can get something like 200 different kinds of fleas, but most of those don't go after dogs. Certain mites and lice are like that too.

12. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

If you had a wire wall between my goats and some chicken feed, they'd spend some time destroying the wire wall . . . I have a piece of range panel strapped to the open side of my woodshed to keep said goats from getting into the storage feed. One thing, my essentially grown RIR roo can hop right through, much less my little pullets, but it sure stops the goats. It also rattles in a scary way against the metal siding.

All of my goats have been dehorned, so since no one can get their heads through the holes, I don't worry much about a stuck head. It would make so much noise, and I'm always at home, so just in case . . .

I assume the stuff would be difficult to cut to fit your divider, but secured well you could leave it at that.

13. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I agree with FH..

14. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Coccidiosis (sp?) IS spiecies specific, even though quite a few spieceis can GET it is differint mutations and a goat can not get a chicken variety and a chicken cannot get a goat variety, i never had a problem with my goats and chickens being in the same area,

now obviously you will need to treet for differint things like worms and such and if your really responcible you will treet for Cocc. ANYWAY, and if you have done this you wont have a problem if you have chickens or if you dont

15. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I considered putting goats and chickens in the same area of the barn but realized that I didn't want chicken poo on the goats' hay, and I also didn't want the goats getting into the chicken feed, so I keep them separate in the barn but they all free range together and have no problems with that.

16. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

It was also my understanding that cocci was species specific. We have chickens roaming in with the goat pasture. About 20 or so of our newest batch of egg-layers seem to prefer spending the day with the goats and 6-8 of them overnite in the goat barn. We put up some covers so they don't poop in the feeders and the hay is racked outside, so the contamination is slight at worst. The chickens feed is outside the goat pasture so the goats have no access to it.

The great benefit as I see it is in parasite control. I have noticed that as soon as the goats poop, there are 2-3 chickens there in an instance pecking thru it. They should be eating the worms, eggs, larva, etc that the goats shed. So to at least some degree, they are interrupting or at least hindering the lifecycle of the parasites. This should be a good thing for your goats.

17. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Kittykity, we have an arrangement like the one you're thinking about, and it works fine for us. We made a chicken "dining room" that they can access through a very narrow passage (we had to experiment with the size of the opening, as goats can apparently squish themselves very small when they want to!). Works like a charm now. The goats like having the chickens around, and I do believe it keeps the insect population down in the pasture and the barn. Our alpha queen herds the chickens around sometimes when she's bored, but they don't seem to mind. I have seen the hens riding happily around on goats' backs. They all seem to enjoy the company.

18. dragonfly65

dragonfly65 Well-Known Member

My concern would be what the goats would do to your chicken roosts. I had to house a mama goat in my coop for a couple months one winter because the queen had her own baby and wouldn't let the other goat in the goat house. Talk about destruction! I've had goats splinter 2x4's during a "disagreement".

If your going to seperate the laying/eating area for the chickens why don't you just include the roosts as well. They don't need that much room to sleep (something like 1 foot of roost space per bird).

I also would use 2x4 "barriers" on the goat side of your wire. They will go (literally) right THROUGH the wire. And they can fit through an unimaginably small hole. So figure out how big the hole needs to be so your biggest chicken can just duck and get in or you will have goats in there. Of course I have pygoras and a bigger goat might be a bit different.

My goats (4 of them), 3 Jacob's sheep, about 20 chickens, 6 geese, and 6 ducks all share a pasture that's about 3/4 of an acre. There is plenty of room for all of them and plenty of grass and bugs for all. I do supplement with hay, especially with this drought and the goats and sheep get pellets as well (not the same kind). For the most part the goats just ignore the chickens, but the "babies" like to head butt the chickens when they were little. It never really seemed to bother the chickens though.