Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing to get a new 3 quart sauce pan (because I accidentally burned the copper bottom off my old beloved Revere Ware one... :().

Anyways, I've been looking around -- but I can't believe how expensive a single sauce pan can cost! Ouch!

I'm wondering... is more expensive necessarily better? I don't think I paid much at all for the Revere Ware set I've had for years and they've suited my needs just fine. Well, as long as I don't accidentally cut on the wrong burner and burn the bottoms off. Oops! :eek:

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I believe it's worth saving up for good pans, I have a set of All Clad which I adore, and a French enamelled cast iron stock pot that you'd have to pry from my cold, dead hands :)

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I saved my money and bought really good pans although they are mix and match. I have Revereware, Pampered Chef, which I love and another brand I can't think of right now! I think it pays to buy good stuff.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
It depends on what you're doing with it, in my own opinion. Different jobs require different tools. A top of the line set makes it easier to cook certain things, and can also be used for not-so-delicate cooking too. A lower end product will work just as well for the normal cooking, but might be more difficult to make the delicate meals with.

My cooking doesn't require the expensive pans, but expensive pans would probably make life easier. If I had them, I would probably make more of the "delicate" items that I can't make with the pots I have now.

Are you only looking at individual pots, or have you looked at sets too? I have found that you can sometimes pay a small percentage more and get three pots instead of just the one. They are supposedly the same exact pots and everything, just packaged together.

Kayleigh

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I have Revere Ware that is at least 30 years old and still looks new. That's all I use except for my iron cookware. I have 2 dutch ovens with legs and and a 3 qt. flat bottom pot with a bail (some people call them dutch ovens) for making stew, beans and so forth. I also have a 1 1/2 qt. with a handle in iron. Iron skillets of various sizes. I can't see buying expensive cook ware when the stainless steel does just a well.

Oh I also have a large 10 qt. stainless steel that I use when making large batches of soup.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I see the revere ware in the thrift store often, you might want to check there for a replacement. However, many of the more expensive cookware is worth it. You might watch for special sales, or check closeout stores.

Dawn

·
Registered
212 Posts
My wife thought I was nuts when I bought an $80.00 Calphalon all clad 12" skillet at my favorite store--Bed, Bath & Beyond(she won't let me go there alone anymore) But she quickly came to love it as well. Sauteing, sweating, frying, braising, risotto, etc. It is an awesome pan. Later got a pair of Calphalon hard anodized aluminum non-stick skillets for $45.00. Watch for those deals. Separately $110.00. We would wear out 20 $10.00 WM skillets before we have to replace these. Buy the best you can afford.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
I believe it's worth saving up for good pans, I have a set of All Clad which I adore, and a French enamelled cast iron stock pot that you'd have to pry from my cold, dead hands :)
Agreed. Most of my pans are All-Clad, with a Le Creuset stockpot. They're wonderful, heat evenly, and will last a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
21,614 Posts
I have All Clads too and love them. Is your French enameled stock pot a Staub? I have a Staub La Cocotte french oven and I love that thing. It's purty too...cranberry colored.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I didn't think it really mattered either, then this fall I "broke down" an spent $40 for a nice stock pot on clearance.

Had I known what a difference it would be, I'd have gotten more decent pans long ago!

Cathy

·
Registered
445 Posts
My wife thought I was nuts when I bought an $80.00 Calphalon all clad 12" skillet at my favorite store--Bed, Bath & Beyond(she won't let me go there alone anymore) But she quickly came to love it as well. Sauteing, sweating, frying, braising, risotto, etc. It is an awesome pan. Later got a pair of Calphalon hard anodized aluminum non-stick skillets for $45.00. Watch for those deals. Separately $110.00. We would wear out 20 $10.00 WM skillets before we have to replace these. Buy the best you can afford.

DH also got me a Calphalon skillet when I asked for a "new frying pan" (I really meant "I'd like a frying pan that didn't come from the thrift store." So I was rather taken aback when I found out how much he had spent on one pan :eek:

I have to say that I love that it cooks extremely evenly, and that whatever that nonstick coating is, it's amazing!!! But what I absolutely hate about it, and DH didn't realize until I had opened it and started reading the "instructions", is that I can't put it in the dishwasher, I have to hand wash it! :Bawling: I had stopped using my cast iron because I don't have time to wash dishes by hand, and because even when I do have time, I hate it. So those facts being what they are, I offered to take my "fancy new pan" back, but DH told me that if I kept it, every time I use it, he promises to hand wash it for me!! He's only not kept that promise about three times in the last few years :happy:

So my advice to you is that if you do opt for a pan that is more expensive, consider what the requirements are for care.

·
Premium Member
21,614 Posts
I have to say that I love that it cooks extremely evenly, and that whatever that nonstick coating is, it's amazing!!! But what I absolutely hate about it, and DH didn't realize until I had opened it and started reading the "instructions", is that I can't put it in the dishwasher, I have to hand wash it! :Bawling: I had stopped using my cast iron because I don't have time to wash dishes by hand, and because even when I do have time, I hate it. So those facts being what they are, I offered to take my "fancy new pan" back, but DH told me that if I kept it, every time I use it, he promises to hand wash it for me!! He's only not kept that promise about three times in the last few years :happy:

It's that hard to wash a non-stick pan?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Le Crueset is guaranteed for life. If you mess it up, they replace it... they've replaced a whole bunch of mine. ; )

There's an outlet in the lowcountry of SC, where you can get good specials and seconds, which carry the exact same warranty as the 'firsts'.

For low cost on reasonably good cookwear, try TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I try to keep a small teflon skillet for certain things, and can pick up the best name brand ones there for $6 to 10. I bought a teflon coated saucepan (for those specialty things) for $12. Hit the clearance rack and see what they have.

My time and energy cooking is worth the cost of the good cookware...

dawn

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think expensive cookware is like expensive luxury sheets. They aren't really a necessity, but once you have them it is hard to go back. They're just nice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a set of stainless steel Cuisinarte. I love them, even heat, easy to clean and large sized! BUT, I need a teflon pan for eggs and fryed tators!

·
Registered
221 Posts
My mom has a set of waterless cookware that is really good. I think the brand is Society. It was expensive but it cooks wonderfully, cleans up very easily, and has a lifetime guarantee. She gave me the lasagne pan that she got with it and it is great. Sometimes I wish I had two of them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts