are dwarf or pygmy goats good for milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by skylikins, Apr 11, 2005.

1. skylikins

skylikins Member

Hi Im new to homestesding today .I grew up on goat milk grandpa had a nubian and now that he is gone and i have 3 acers of my own I thought i might like a goat but Im the only one at my house that will drink it so 1 quart a day would be more than enough .It will be a lot easyer for me to convince the DW that a pygmy or dwarf would make a good pet and i have a fenced in area 4 feet tall so please let me know what you think

thanks
    Scott

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Pygmys aren't milk goats. Most of them have small teats which would make it painful to milk them. Nigerian dwarves are milk goats, and you might be happy with one of them. I have Kinder goats, which are a cross of Pygmy and Nubian, not quite as small as a Pygmy, but definitely smaller than Nubians. Mine are very easy to milk, very pleasant to have around, and have absolutely wonderful milk. It's very rich, and if you make cheese, you'll get double or more the yield of cheese from a gallon of milk that you would get from the milk of one of the larger breeds. Some Kinders will give up to a gallon a day, but the one doe I've been milking peaked at about two quarts a day, then leveled off at a quart or so for most of the winter. My bucks mother was giving about three quarts a day at her peak. You can't really keep just one goat, as they are really unhappy when kept alone, so two would be a better idea. But Kinders will kid at any time of the year. If you breed one in the spring for a fall kidding, and one in the fall for a spring kidding, you can have year-round milk. If you find yourself with too much milk, you can feed it to chickens, pigs, or orphan lambs or calves. Or make more cheese, LOL!

Your DW will probably fall in love with goats when you have your first babies!

Kathleen

3. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Just like BlueJuniperFarm said, pygmies arent good milkers. Pygmies were bred for meat. You might want to look into Nigerian dwarves if you want a smaller milk goat. they produce enough milk and a little extra. :) Kinders are also great but they are bigger than pygmies and nigrians. Goatgirl

4. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Kinders would work well for you as others have stated. Kinders are a wonderful breed with great personalities, easy going temperaments and are just all around sweet goats. Our Kinders are currently milking 3-6 lbs a day of high butterfat/protein milk so it is also good for making cheese :) I think if you had the opportunity to meet some Kinders you'd like them.

While Pygmies aren't usually thought of as milk breeds AGS did have milking Pygmies and there are still some who milk them. It is something you'd want to select for and if possible find a doe who is easy to milk. I would think their milk would be very rich with high butterfat.

Nigerian Dwarf goats are small sized dairy goats. We have does that are producing from 2-4 lbs a day (8.6 lbs of milk in a gallon) so quart a day or more. So they also would meet your needs for milk production.

Our Kinders overall tend to be less of the escape artists that some of our ND are but it can and will vary from individual to individual.

Trisha-MN

5. skylikins

skylikins Member

Thanks for all of the info .goats for us will be pets first and milk would just be a bonus for me and the chickens so I will start looking to see what breeds are at a good price hear in central Ks I don't need them to be registard or pure bred they will not be show goats I will keep a look out for a small goat with big teets thank agin

Scott

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Check out the developing mini breeds. Small goats, milkable udders, very good milk, very hardy. They start as a cross between a Nigerian Dwarf and a standard dairy goat. I have Mini Manchas and Mini Oberhasli. I've gotten into them recently and couldn't be happier. I have two that have freshened, and have udder pics up on the website if you want to have a look. Look at the Mini Manchas Sally and Selena.

www.glimmercroft.com

7. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I sell Nigerians, but I am located in NJ. I have a beautiful little doe out of great milk lines for sale. If you are interested I do ship. Let me know and I will send you some good shots. I also have great little buck (and I do mean GREAT) he is tri-color with amazing blue eyes. Most of his kids would have blue eyes.
    My e-mail, if you are interested is Chma4@hotmail.com
    If not, GOOD LUCK!!!
    Christina