are dried morning glory vines poisonous for goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BamaSuzy, Dec 30, 2004.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Are dried morning glory vines poisonous to goats? They have dried seeds on them.

I was pulling them off the fence surrounding the garden area and the goats were watching intently....I told them I'd look them up in my J.B. Bellenger dairy goat book but it doesn't say.... I have a bunch of them and could feed just a little at a time for a treat....

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes!!! All morning glory seeds are poisionous, and depending on the variety, the entire plant is poisionous! Don't risk it and feed them!

Tracy

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

whew! gee thanks! I had NO idea! So many people say that "goats won't eat anything that will hurt them!" and they DON'T know what they're talking about!!!! thank you again!

4. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh no! My sheep have been out nibbling on dried morning glory vines in a corner of the field for several days. They seem fine, but I'd better go pull it all out. Do you think they would have gotten sick by now? Maybe they have to eat a lot of it?

5. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Remember all things in moderation!! and if you've ever watched a goat browse, you'd see they know the rule, a nibble here, a nibble there... when they get in trouble, is when there's nothing else to eat and they're hungry and they eat to toxic levels..
    There's stuff out here, my girs won't touch green, but if it's dried up, it's gone! and vice versa, which is why dried leaves are so popular this time of the year..

6. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I have read where they are poisonious also. My goats don't seem to eat them other than a leaf or two. I have also read that acorns were not good for goats. Mine ate a ton each day for about six weeks. Their bellies were really full at the end of the day. Alot of my pasture is wooded and no way of keeping them from eating them. They got mud fat,but did eat lots of baking soda during that time. ;)