Are Canadian vet drugs cheaper too?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jacobs, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

Every one in the US knows that prescription drugs are cheaper in Canada than in the US. Does that go for prescription veterinary drugs as well? I would like to know if pergolide is cheaper in Canada. I have a horse with cushing's syndrome and the vet quoted me $85-$135 a month depending on the dosage. Moon's going to get his meds, but money is tight now and if I can find a deal on drugs in Canada that would be great! I sure this would be of interest to other animal owners as well!

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

In a word....NO.

Our taxes go to support the human health care sytem, so it's a misnomer to say it's totally 'Free'. Also, vet and animal coverage comes out of pocket to the consumer of these services in Canada. I believe some vet drugs are higher here than in the U.S. Being on the border, I visit the U.S. vet with some of my dogs and it's less cost to vaccinate as is some of the medications I've gotten there.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'm in Maine and have a Canadian vet. No less expensive for the office call or the meds. Even with the exchange rate it works out to be equal. I go to Canada because the only livestock vets in the area are there, and it's closer than the vet I'd use on the American side.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

most likly the medicine you want would need a prescrition from a canadian vet to buy the medication. even with our vet that has known us forever(same high school)we have to take some animals to him for certain meds.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

pergolide is also a human use drug. Used for Parkisons disease....its gonna be pricey