Are calicos better mousers?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by michiganfarmer, Nov 30, 2006.

1. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

When I was a kid we had tons of cats that huung around the dairy barn as, I suppose lots of barns have.

We only ever had one calico at a time. I dont know why, but anyway, they seemed to be the smartest, fastest mousers of all the cats.

In the summer there were lots of barn swallows swooping back and forth in front of the barn door while we were milking in the evenings. We kept a round bale of straw by the barn door to bed the cows and gutters with. Straw would kinda peel off the side, and form kind of an umbrella. This one calico would sit under this umbrella watching those swallows. When one got close enough she would leap into the air and grab a swallow in midair! It gives me a chuckle just thinking about it. She was an awsome hunter.

The barn, I suppose like other barns, had logs sitting on top of the walls for celing joists. There were 1" planks on top of the joists to form the floor of the hay mows, and drive floor upstairs. Mice would tuck themselves up in the corner where the top of the log met the planking, and slink along those log joists. I can rember calling, "Here kitty kitty kitty", and that calico would come running. I would pick her up, and she would act excited, and start looking around like she knew what we called her for. I would hold her up toward the ceiling joists, and if she saw the mouse she would leap from my arms, grab the joist with one paw, and grab the mouse with the other paw.
    She would drop to the floor, rub against my leg, then run off somewhere.

I saw a lot of the other cats with mice they had cought, but they were pretty wild. That calico was friendly, and the best mouser I ever seen.

Pardon my walk down memory lane

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think so. I've had all kinds of cats who were great mousers. None of them were calicos. The calico I have now is great at stalking grasshoppers, but I've never seen her with a bird or mouse. Guess she prefers tiny victims!

Personally, I like to read other folks walks down memory lane! Thanks for sharing.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

My orange Tom is A great ratter, his sister A tortise shell. is too. then the 2 year olds are good too. A orange one, and A tabby type tortise shell. But we used to have A jet black Tom in the area years ago that would catch dozens of birds every day, As well as rodents. So I can't say one color /type of cat is better than another. Queens are NO better than Toms ,As far as I can see.

4. michiganfarmer

I can remember some of the other cats hanging around the silage pile in the spring when we were using the tractor to scoop up the remainning spoiled silage from the winter. They would have a feild day with all the mice, and rats that would come surrying out.

I dontknow why that female calico sticks in my mind.

5. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

Of the many cats that I have had some were mousers and some were not. The BEST was the female Manx. She was number one and no other came even close to her ability to catch mice. I don't know if it was the breed or just her. As a side note she was also the best cat that I have ever had in terms of brains and personality.

6. michiganfarmer

I dontknow what breed any of these cats were. I always wanted a....um....one of those brown and white cats. They are kinda tall, and thinn. I cant remember the name.

siamese! thats it.

Is calico just a color?

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

by all meens yes they are better hunters. the calaco is thier nateral camaflodge :p

8. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Our tuxedo tom (black/white) was a great hunter - even caught a quail in the air once! He flushed a covey and did a leap that woud have made any bobcat proud to bring it down.

9. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Our calico was amazing too. She would catch rabbits (no small feat for a 5 pound cat) and drag them up to us from the field. Then she would eat them - where she found room is beyond me. Though we have a beautiful tiger cat and her calico daughter right now and they are both extremely strong hunters. Scary some of the things that they do. They catch birds mid flight even though I have told them that in no uncertain terms they can have the rodents just leave the birds alone. They drag rats out that are bigger than they are. Snakes too.

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Of all the cats I have owned Calicos are the most hateful! LOL I think it is because female cats, in general have the "proctect my babies" instinct and are not the smoochie bundles of moosh that [neutered] boy cats are. Black and white kitties IMHO are the sweetest.

But I do agree that Calicos, in general are VERY smart - hateful but smart. LOL

donsgal

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Just remember that Calicos have A lethal gene, 99% of the males are stillborn. So if you find one thats Alive its A treasure.Worth keeping.

12. michiganfarmer

Ive heard that

13. michiganfarmer

huh, thats pretty cool!

14. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

Some of the barn calicos that had kittens would hunt amazing things for the babies- big pigeons, rats, etc. One of them hunted a lot of rats when she had kittens. She was someone's house cat who was dumped (pregnant) but she had a strong hunting instinct and adapted quickly to farm life.

15. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

The farmers in this area look for calico kittens to be their barn cats.

My calico is the prettiest - long-haired and such a sweet face. She's so pretty because she gets a lot of beauty sleep in my rocker by the woodstove.

16. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I think calicos are so good at hunting because they are females and they are aggressive hunters to feed their babies. I have 3 calicos and they are very good hunters. The oldest is approaching 16 years old and has never been more than 5 pounds. She was a voracious killer in her younger days.

17. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

There was a PBS special on cats a few years ago and they said cats where taught to hunt. If the mother the mother was a good hunter she would teach her off spring to be good hunters.

18. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

our best hunters are kittens who were raised by thier mothers... the next best hunters are kittens we got and then we actively taught to hunt ourselves... our kittens without mothers, that we didnt spend time on are so so hunters.

19. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love Calicos!!! Our cat Fuzzybutt is a tortoiseshell, and she's a GREAT mouser!! She's also smart enough to leave the chickens alone. When she was a kitten,she would hide behind trees and pounce on the chickens as they walked by,until a pack of chickens ganged up on her and chased HER, gave her a taste of her own medicine. :hobbyhors

20. just ducky!

just ducky! Duffer is my #1 pet duck!

Two cats I've known that stick in my mind for being great mousers both had 6 toes on their front feet. Seems like I heard somewhere that 6 toed cats are better mousers, I don't know if this proves this to be true or not.