Are breech births genetic?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Sep 21, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Are breech births genetic? Is one doe more likely than another to present kids born in the breech postition? And is one buck more likely than another to sire them? Or is it just the "luck of the draw"? Does anybody know the answer to this? :shrug:

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Other than contributing to the size of the kids at birth, a buck would have nothing to do with presentation. Breech births are pretty typical, you will have one each season in a group of does. Usually kids 2 to 4 will come breech, and is eaisly delivered that way, the problem comes in the first kid being breech. The biggest thing that you as a herdsman can do to control birthing difficulties is to know your bloodline and not breed bucks who throw large kids to young does, to keep nutrition up understand the selenium issue in your area so you have more smaller kids born rather than fewer too large kids born, and lastly making sure your does are getting enough exercise in late prenancy, does with better muscle tone have far less complications and are better able to manipulate the presentation of their kids by rubbing, than a fat doe. Vicki

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

We give selenium shots and exercise them lightly in the last weeks of pregnancy.

But last year I had a doe who had 3 breech babies, and had one on her own, before we knew they were breech. We figured the rest would be fine, but they were breech too and I had to help. After I sold the does I checked records... and sure enough the only doe I kept was the one who had breech births. She was a first freshener last year, and I wondered if she might have breech births this spring too.

Anyway, thanks. :)

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Breech births aren't usually a problem. Great big huge kids (13-15#) are, no matter how big the doe is, and these are genetic. Of course, some does are so small boned that they'll have trouble birthing no matter what position the kid is in. When pulling a kid, I've often grabbed the back legs and intentionally pulled it that way, especially if the kid is dead...it's so much easier than trying to line up the head and both front legs.