Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw an article that described wells in CA going dry. Just wondered if any of you were worried.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
We are over an aquafir. Our well will never run dry.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
The last 32yrs our well would go dry off and on. Then we had to haul water. I have to admit that the "wonders" of city water is that it doesn't run dry as often as a well.
Get a water tank, and haul in water as needed if your well gets low. It will refill with rain.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Our well was drilled over 50 years ago and has never run dry. However, when we had a new pump installed a couple of years ago we discovered that the water level is considerable lower than it was about 10 years before that. The water table is dropping due to drought years and increased use in the area. Not a good sign. Some neighbors wells went dry this summer.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
We are over an aquafir. Our well will never run dry.
I had a 100 ft of water in my well and drew mud last year after the 3rd year of severe drought. Yes I'm thinking about rain water catchment. Water table is back to normal this year with an abundance of rain. Had the strangest dry September I can remember this year though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
30ft tile well(3ft wide tile)10 wheeler load of stone at bottom to create pocket.more water than I can use.even watering 2acre veggie field!

·
Premium Member
8,999 Posts
Not here, there is oodles of water 200 or so feet deep here. Well is 340 or so feet deep.

But in the arid regions, it certainly would be a concern.

Paul

·
Registered
408 Posts
East TN has been in a mild drought this year, no problems.
We live around so much water I don't think we will ever have a problem.
We just installed a deep well hand pump so we will still have water if electricity goes out. Only cost a $250.00 ish.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,815 Posts
East TN has been in a mild drought this year, no problems.
We live around so much water I don't think we will ever have a problem.
We just installed a deep well hand pump so we will still have water if electricity goes out. Only cost a $250.00 ish.
What kind did you get?

·
Registered
11,404 Posts
Nope. I'm sitting on the largest aquifer in AZ with one well at 350 ft deep, the other at 450 ft.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
When we have a dry summer, (though here in NY, I can't remember when that last was) I have worried about it. We have a shallow well that was put in when this old house was built. We still use a pitcher pump for our water supply and have never had a problem. I still worry anyway.

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
No, we aren't worried about our well running dry. Our property is over an aquifer and we have over a dozen natural springs. We are in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I've over the Floridian Aquifer which has over 30 magnitude one springs. A mag one spring produces more than 100 cubic feet / second, or 64 million gallons / day. Silver Spring, which is a couple of miles away, produces over 550 MGD. That is a lot of water.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts