Are any of you renting out your pasture?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Aug 6, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

How are you making out with your pasture rental?

I am interested in those actually renting their pasture and what you are getting in return?

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

$8 an acre, an infestation of mesquite, and a large population of wildlife.

3. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

Around here, fenced grazing, i.e., not well-managed paddocks, but mixed grass grazing suitable for cattle, will rent for about thirty dollars an acre per year and the renter is responsible for repairing fencing, etc.

In general, the land is rented to maintain the pasture as opposed to for the money.

Ray

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I rented in the city for $100.00 an acre. High price was partly to help my elderly next door neighbour. So, I guess that doesn't really count as an answer.

Whatever you do, GET A CONTRACT. Many contracts on horse sites, or check Homestead's horse forum. List everything that can happen, put it in.

Are you going to visit daily? Who is responsible if horse is hurt? Who hauls it off if it dies? Can they call the vet if you're not around? Water, etc.

Better have too much up front, than misunderstandings later...

5. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

We were getting $30/mo for keeping three horses on a 5 acre pasture. I
    think it was too little for what I have found out since.
    james

6. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Yikes! We're getting less than anyone! We currently have 3 horses on 8+ acres and are getting $20 a month. That's NOT good considering we do all of the watering of their animals. They rarely ever come by except to pay us. We even had to call them to let them know one of the horses was injured. Looked as if it had been kicked by one of the others. Thank goodness they are only renting for the summer. This was our first time renting it and we took their word for what a good price would be. Looks like I learned my lesson.

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

We lease to usually 130 pair but only 116 this year due to drought. How much you get depends on where you are. We lease per head per month. Ask at your local extension office for the average price in your area.

Yikes, some of you are low. Horse are destructive critters - up the rent.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

What area are you in, and how much?

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I do a barter: they brushhog, etc., a few times a year, in exchange for grazing horses.

I'm a bit undecided about it all at this point --- the fencing is getting ruined, among other things, and the compensation isn't enough for that. But I'm not using the land right now, so it's not a crucial matter for me to attend to, although it will be in a year or so when I finally finish all my other projects.

10. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Set it up to do full board and get $250. per horse per month. You need some sheds and feed some grain twice a day. Most important is to draw up a contract. most farms will let you have a copy of their contract and you can modify it to suit your needs. JAY

11. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I'm in South Dakota near the North Dakota border. We will be going up for bids in the fall for next year. Neighbor went for bids this year and is considerable higher than we are. If you think there is a demand in your area you might want to consider bids settng a minimum bid level.

We do all the fencing (don't want someone else's sloppy job), check on cattle daily, provide mineral, salt, water, move and make sure the creep feeders are full. (Owner pays for all feed) We move the cattle where we can to rotate pastures. Only need help for drives down the road. We also help with giving shots and treatment if needed. We sort, load or help drive cattle to home ranch in the fall. This means we can ask for more rent.

Pm if you think what I get for rent is relative to your area

12. loveappies

loveappies New Member

Moonwolf, My "subdivision" has an interesting arrangement regarding pasture. It was carved out of an old ranch, and the cattleman owning the pasture lease left his cattle here to graze the unfenced portions of the subdivision. Although I don't rent my pasture, the four unfenced acres are enough, with the cattle and my own animals in the fenced portion, to get me an ag exemption on my taxes. This is almost as good as rent for those of us who can't get everything fenced and build up the right size herd per acre right away.

13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

80 acres = $800 a year for cattle.

Was getting $40 a month for horse pasture till my hubby was stupid enough to run off that horse owner.

14. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

We are renting out 74 acres in SE Kansas for 13 cow-calf pairs. The cattle will be on the pasture for about 6 months. There are two spring-fed ponds for water and the entire area is recently fenced. $150 per pair. They have had lots more rain down there than we have and there is still grass.

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Wow! are we getting Takin" :D Oh well I've already decided not to rent out the pasture next year, I have to upkeep the fence and chase cows if they get out, and water 2 X a day, I ususually get a good deal but this year, no, next year I think I'll take out a small loan if I half to and buy 15 weaned calves and pasture then and re sell.

16. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

In my area southeastern Washington rent on yearlings is $8.00/month, cow/calf pairs it's $12.00/month. I move mine around to several pastures to keep the grass short so it's not a fire hazard and don't pay a thing.

Bobg

17. rcornish

rcornish Well-Known Member

Here in KY we usually get it for the taxes for the year - it was the same back in VA. Usually it also includes keeping up fencing and bush hogging if required.

Ray