Are any breeds of pig more salt tolerant than others?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tinknal, Jan 15, 2007.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

The reason I ask is I have access to a good feed that is a bit high in salt.

2. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

I know salt can be a problem. We had a problem with that once with a grower pig when we were feeding a lot of cottage cheese we got. The funny thing is only one of about 40 had a problem. The key is to always have free feeding of fresh water available. Then the salt is not an issue. But never run out of water.

What is the feed you can get?

3. tinknal

The feed is cheese. They only eat a small amount, and I would like to get them to eat more. I think that the salt causes low consumption.

4. highlands

I wouldn't think the salt content would lower their consumption rate. What is the salt content (look at the label if you have one). We feed many cheeses. They love them all. An excellent feed. Do offer free feeding of water. We also feed hay. That nutritionally balances the dairy very nicely.

5. tinknal

LOL, I don't need to read the label, I run tests on the stuff all the time! Content is usually 3-4%. I've only done it with one set of hogs, maybe the next group will like it better. I'll be pastureing the next group so maybe they will eat more.

6. highlands

How do you test the salt content?

7. tinknal

It's part of my job. I make grated parmasan cheese ( like you put on your pizza). It's called a tritration test, and they way it works (I think), the cheese is disolved in hot water and then the devise tests electrical conductivity.

8. tinknal

None of the above. The name of the company is Rochester Cheese. As of late we are owned by Swiss Vally Farms out of Debuque. We don't actually make cheese, we process it. We buy cheese from all over the world, and we do use some LOL and Bongards.

9. tinknal

We make Private lable brands for about 20 different grocery chains and wholesalers, and we also produce bulk for food manufacturers. I'm sure you have seen the Crystal Farms brand. We also do Cub, Kroger, Publix, the Military, and recently picked up a pretty good chunk of Super Values business (I know Cub is Super value, but they sometimes use different suppliers)