Arctic bubbles?...enquiring 5 year olds want to know.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

If you blow soap bubbles when it is really really really like SO COLD (that's a quote), do they freeze right away like Christmas ornaments? Or do they just pop?

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

First of all, they don't form at all -- with those wandy things, anyhow. The soap solution just freezes and pops on the wand.

However, if you have, say, a bubblemaker... and it's spewing them out, they're popping immediately. The bubble-stuff (that is a SCIENTIFIC term, I'll have you know! :haha: ) freezes and can't withstand the pressure of the air trapped within it.

Theoretically, they can be frozen -- see here:

http://familyfun.go.com/parenting/learn/activities/feature/famf77bubbles/famf77bubbles.html

But I don't see it happening!

Tracy

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've seen it so cold (-55) that you couldn't pour water out of a bucket! It was frozen before it hit the ground. We were trying to make an ice skating rink at the time. It was just TOO cold. So we all went back inside and played board games instead. :haha:

4. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Hey I live in Kasilof Alaska Trust me it is cold and What you are talking about is something I do with children every year.

It is so much fun and since I have done it many times I will tell you about it

I Like to do it in an area where the leave swrilled about during the fall.
    It works best just at sun rize which in Ak might be very late in the day
    they do pop when warmed up by the sun

If i do the bubbles between the outhouse and the shed the bubbles spin in the air till the sun pops them or delited children run through them.

This IS something that many school child do at recess time as it does not have to be super cold. :haha: :haha:

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I did this as a kid with bro and sis probably at Grandma's farm in SD. The bubbles weren't too cold coming from house out into yard with us, and it was probably only about 20F not terribly cold. The bubbles became crystalline patterned on top of the rainbowy oily look as I recall and some of them- when popped as we did the ones we could catch- left a filmy skin that lasted a bit instead of vanishing instantly into a wetness on our hands. Hope you have cold enough weather some time to do the experiments with this young one. Remember you'd get differing results depending on how cold.

6. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

The five year old is on the right track here in Alaska they do freeze like christmas ordinments. I am so sorry if I failed to make my self clear.

Now Have YOU tried it in real life

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think Wind In Her Hair has some photos of frozen bubbles that she might scan and post later. The bubbles we made seemed to shrink a bit and did not remain in a prefect sphere shape. The "skin" of the bubble didn't freeze like crystal or glass either. Instead, the bubbles skin turned kinda leathery and flexible. I suppose it was about -20ºF plus or minus when she took the pictures.

8. snoozy

I don't think it will ever get "really really really like SO COLD" here -- I think the coldest I have experienced around here is about 12F, but I am not sure. I grew up in Detroit & Buffalo, so you would think I was born knowing the answer to this question... And now I've gotten some conflicting reports here so they definitely do freeze, or not?

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

When we did it, I'm sure the soap solution froze, but it wasn't fragile and crystalline like forzen water...it was more like a thin membrane....kinda leathery.

And the bubble didn't stay round, it shrunk....which only makes sense. You are blowing warm air to make the bubble. Air shrinks as it gets cold.

10. snoozy

What if you somehow blew cold air to make the bubbles? Or maybe used one of those big wands that you sweep through the air?