Archery question: Anybody ever visit a indoor shooting range?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 12, 2004.

1. Wasn't sure where to ask this question so I'll just ask it here. Anybody visit a indoor archery shooting range regularly? If so give me the run down on it. Cost? Time limit? League shooting? Games? Distance? Compound or Recurve? etc. etc.?

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Sorry no. I'm a strawbale and paper target in the back kinda guy. I take it you don't have the room for that?

BTW what are you shooting? I shoot a 70lb hungarian horsebow, never been into the modern contraptions.

J

3. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

Wayne Huffman in Buena Vista, VA. has an indoor archery range in his shop. I'm sure he could answer your questions. He's got a great inventory for archery.
    http://www.grizzlyarchery.com/index2.html
    Hope this helps.

4. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

Are you talking about just an indoor range, or the new computer screen range? Indoor ranges vary as to the size of the building. The computer screen ranges are normally set up at about 25-30yds if I remember correctly. I shot on a league a few years back on one and think it was 5-10 dollars a week. They have several different software programs they can run. One is just Whitetails, one is North American animals (bear, partridge, etc.) and another is African Safari (elephants and such). We had five on our team and shot on Thursday nights while other teams shot on the other days of the week. It took about an hour or two for the whole thing. It didn't matter what type of bow you used, it was just mandatory to use their arrow tips...which are blunt to not puncture the screen!

5. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

I took my then/new digital camera with me when I took some library books back and took some photos in his shop across the street from the library. There is one at the bottom of the page of the indoor archery range. Dosen't look computerized.
    Do Bow Clubs still exist. Mom finally put her foot down when we were young and demanded Dad take us out for child play, He took us to his bow club. It was fun packing up the bows, trails through the woods with targets around ever bend.

http://www.sweeteherbefarm.com/griz.htm

6. zee_tee

zee_tee New Member

WE had a friend put his daughter thru archery training and it was an indoor range. He says he doesn't remember all the prices but the class for his daughter was something like six months of Saturday training for about $25.00, bow and arrow rental included. They had everything for sale, a little snack bar for parents to watch the kids from and you could use all types of archery equipment. It was in a warehouse type plaza building in an industrial park. Quite popular apparently. Hope this helps. BTW, it was in northern British Columbia Canada.

7. Thatch, I'm not sure who BTW is but if you are asking me by any chance I have been shooting a homemade stick bow the last couple of years. I made it out of a Mulberry tree and it's draw weight is 49 pounds at 28". I use to use compound bows but it got to be of no challenge anymore for deer hunting. Since I've switched over to a recurve I have not had a chance to even shoot at a deer. Maybe next year!

Clara, thanks for the pictures. That is what I hope my shop will look like soon! I may have a little more room for the archery range. I've read that each lane should be 30 inches wide, if so then I could have 6 lanes in my indoor range. But my distance is only going to be about 18 yards maximum which is about right for recurves and long bows but kind of short for compound users.

Pointer_hunter, I didn't know they had computerized indoor ranges. Shows you of what kind of area I live in. I don't even know where a indoor range is anymore. The only one I have ever been to was about 25 miles from me and it didn't stay in business very long. That was about 15 years ago. Not sure why they went out of business every time I was there it had plenty of business, but they was only around for about one year.