Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· I love boobies
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been an activist for years and I know the Goons hate me but...

Even though I don't have a brace for this do you think it's a 3AM Alphabet Boys death sentence?

Edit to add: all my other ARs (and orher rifles) have long enough barrels I'm not concerned about them.
Machine gun Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
564 Posts
I've always felt that these were pointless weapons, a solution looking in vain for a purpose.
But hey, that's just me.

Reactions: aaron.d.hess

· Registered
1,120 Posts
For curiosity I'd pull the trigger. Then hand it off. That's about all for me.

To me these are special purpose close quarters guns. Why would I want one of those? Why would you?

If there was such a thing in 45-70 I'd buy one and shoot it once.

· Registered
2,863 Posts
For curiosity I'd pull the trigger. Then hand it off. That's about all for me.

To me these are special purpose close quarters guns. Why would I want one of those? Why would you?

If there was such a thing in 45-70 I'd buy one and shoot it once.
When ammo got expensive I wanted something AR chambered in .22LR. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P15-22. When I brought it home my wife appropriated it ("It's so light" "I love the adjustable buttstock for my short arms". and so on. She kept on changing things up the way she wanted. ) We ended up with his and hers. They are a fun shoot. I decided to get it's "baby brother", the M&P15-22...

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

I really like it for carrying around the farm. I can sling it over my back where it's out of the way but handy. We have coyotes in the area. The 25 round magazine makes up for .22LR vs a heavier caliber pistol. I wish fore grips on pistols were legal. I'm a lefty and the hot brass ejects right into my forearm. With a fore grip on the quad rail, the brass ejects over my arm. you can also mount a laser and light on the sides of the quad rail. I got it as a fun shoot but I want it for the above reason.

· Registered
10,414 Posts

Even though I don't have a brace for this do you think it's a 3AM Alphabet Boys death sentence?

Edit to add: all my other ARs (and orher rifles) have long enough barrels I'm not concerned about them.
View attachment 116494
No. You’re GTG. The proposed new rules and the 4999 scoring sheet only applies to pistols with a brace attachment installed. There’s no indication at this point that the ATF intends to turn pistols like yours magically in to rifles of the short-barreled variety.

· Registered
10,414 Posts
I've always felt that these were pointless weapons, a solution looking in vain for a purpose.
But hey, that's just me.
What’s pointless are the silly, misinformed laws that brought these pistols into existence.

A short barreled weapon with more velocity and energy than most common pistols makes a lot of sense for a home-defense platform.

The incredibly popular .300 Black Out performs exceedingly well in a short (6-10”) barrel, especially when heavy, sub-sonic bullets are fired through a silencer.

In most places, a loaded rifle can’t be carried in a car, but a pistol can. It just so happens that the shorter barrels (<16”) are more practical for vehicle carry than their rifle counterparts. A pistol carried as such in a car often meets the criteria to qualify on a concealed carry license.

Not to mention that, those of us who have taken the time and expense to register short-barred rifles in our name are required to file annual paperwork with the ATF for notification and approval to take our legally registered short barreled rifles to states other than the one in which we reside. So, even folks that have legal SBRs still have good reason to keep at least one AR pistol.

In sum, the silly laws on the books not only drove us to build AR-platform pistols, they’ve given us lot and lots of good reasons to keep them.

· I love boobies
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A grizzly in my storage shed or chicken coop? But really it's great because even without the Joe Biden AR-15 Express Ammo, this thing is so scary that when I go hunting all I have to do is hold it over my head and spin around, and just like that, without firing a shot, all the deer and elk have a heart attack from sheer terror.

· I love boobies
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
These are our 3AM break-in perp "pistols"....
View attachment 116500
View attachment 116502
When I had neighbors close by, a long time ago, I also kept a 12ga for defense since I didn't want a bullet passing though walls into another home. I still keep a rifled-barrel Remington 1100 with extended mag tube and slugs by the door for any rabid grizzlies. For sheer power (at a fraction of the weight of a 50BMG) you can't beat them for close range.

Edit for typo

· Premium Member
17,418 Posts
When I had neighbors close by, a long time ago, I also kept a 12ga for defense since I didn't want a bullet passing though walls into another home. I still keep a rifled-barrel Remington 1000 with extended mag tube and slugs by the door for any rabid grizzlies. For sheer power (at a fraction of the weight of a 50BMG) you can't beat them for close range.
Did you mention a 50BMG?
Snow Wood Tree Hat Fence

· Registered
1,936 Posts

View attachment 116494
Here’s the one I’ve got on the books right now. Still belongs to Barrett. 19” barrel and it does have a can, but this test had to be naked.
View attachment 116516
Big waste of money. Maybe good for the spray and play but worth nothing for defense.

· I love boobies
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Contrary to some's opinion. Here's proof that it's a damn good home defense gun. 30 shots, 30 feet, 20 seconds, offhand. 4.5" group with no fliers. These would all be headshots from anywhere in my house.

Don't make fun of my poverty target.

Attachments

· Registered
2,863 Posts
If we're talking self defense, I'll go with a Saiga 20 gauge with a 20 round drum magazine. There's a reason they call them street sweepers. Less kick than a 12 gauge and if you need more than 20 shotgun rounds you are in trouble regardless. I don't own one but had the pleasure of shooting with a friend's at the short range on our property.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts