Aquariums

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by moonwolf, May 8, 2006.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I want to set up a nice focus point in a part of my new house with a sizeable aquarium set up. Not sure whether to go saltwater, but I will probably go with freshwater fish.

Anybody have some good recommendations on where to buy, ideas of setup up for the decor, types of fish and plants or accessorizing the aquarium....and also how to make life easy once it is set up!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You may want to think About A Bio-Filter, For the tank, It takes less energy and keeps the tank cleaner and the fish in better health. They are well worth the money. Just remember theres NO such thing as one tank, You will want more later. Are you wanting A stock tank ? or A custom made one.??

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

4. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

http://forums.aquariumhobbyist.com/
    I breed platties and have bred corydoras, guppies, swordfish, and mollies, all are pretty easy keepers, make sure all your fish are healthy before introducing them to the tank, and acclimate them properly, otherwise the shock of the new water and stress could kill them, and make sure you have a big enough tank for them.
    and let your tank set up for atleast a week before adding fish or live plants, I believe a month is the prefered amount of time.

5. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

When choosing a tank size, remember the bigger it is, the less often you'll have to clean it! With a 55 gal, I cleaned it about once a month, maybe less.

I had fresh water tank(s) with cichlids. For me, they were the heartiest to raise. I started out with 5 oscars, but little did I know as they grew older, they would fight! They are very territorial. That's when tank #2 came in! I had them for 8 years, so I was content. By that 8-year mark, I had 3 tanks, plus a small tank with a tad-pole for my kids, and we watched it morph into a bullfrog!

I didn't have the best luck with angel fish, although they're beautiful. They are more unforgiving if the water's chemical balance is off a bit.

I guess it depends on if you want "pretty" fish, "active" fish, big, small, etc. Some species will not tolerate others, but you'll see when you go to shop at the stores which breeds go together.

As a MUST, you'll need to get a (spelling?) plecostamus. It's a bottom feeder, algae eater. Yeah, they eat algae, but you'll also have to feed him too. They love lettuce and zuccini. As long as you give them at least one of those, it'll grow to a humungous size! Otherwise, you'll be replacing them on a regular basis. (I found this out the hard/costly way...) They're not pretty to look at at all, so brace yourself! :eek: ;)

Filter-wise, I had a "Whisper" brand that worked fine. Then as the oscars got bigger I switched to a "canister" type and loved that one! A little pricey but worth every penny.

Fish like to hide, so be sure to provide caves, etc. It's fun to get creative with different materials. Whatever you find, be sure it's suitable for an aquarium.

I don't know diddly about salt tanks, so I can't help ya there! But good luck with your new hobby and if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!

Val

6. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Choose salt water IF you have time and money to put into maintaning the tank on a daily basis. PH has to stay prettty much stable or you will lose fish. They are expensive, as are the supplies (protein skimmer, heater, filter, powerheads, special lights). You need a much larger tank for a smaller number of fish as well. I have kept both slat and freshwater. The freshwater once your tank is cycled, you add water, keep your filters cleaned, do your water changes each month and your good. It is pretty fogiving if you overstock it a bit. I had great success with angels- they rarely died in my tanks. I did use biobeads in a power filter though and power heads. My marine tank was short lived , I lost most of the fish when I had a couple weeks where I was not able to keep up with tests and such. I had 3 tanks. A 20 high for angels, a 55 gal for fresh and a 125 marine tank (with coral). I loved the marine tank best- most colorful fishes- but it was the most work and most expensive. The marine tank I kept set up for a year- the freshwater tanks were set up for over 15 yrs.

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Just curious if you still keep aquaria or why you gave it up after 15 years?
    I had aquariums at different times in other places and enjoyed them with different freshwater fish. I'd like a big tank as a focal point in an area of the new house.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming!

8. Lawbag

Lawbag Well-Known Member

just a thought - are you going to have some sort of generator or alternative energy source to run the pump and heater if the power goes out? If you have regular power outages in your area, esp in winter, you might take that into consideration in choosing your setup.

I wouldn't recommend a placo. They get huge and will grow into whatever tank you get. Mine is 10 3/4 inches long in 10 gallon tank (I know that's way too small, he will be getting his own outdoor pond shortly) and he's only about 2.

9. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

I have an 85 gal salt water tank, a 40 gal fresh with Tiger oscars, 2 20gals to breed goldfish for the oscars, and a 40 gal set up for frogs!

Tiger Oscars are great, if you can handle giving the,m live food every once in a while.

10. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't wait till I get my settlement then I plan on A few new tanks Myself.. By the way how do you breed Goldfish????

11. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

Mine were Tiger Oscars too! How many do you have and how old are they?

12. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

No, I sold all my tanks and supplies one by one. The first large one went when I decided to put in hardwood floor in the parlor (was afraid the water would damage the floor if something happened- $$$$). The second large one- my marine aquarium went when I need the extra room for puppies. I had pretty much lost interest in it after losing the fish in it and knowing I just didn't have the time to devote to it. After having marine fish, the freshwater was so dull in comparison. I now have hardwood floor in my office / puppy room too, so will never get another tank.

Willow

13. farmerlogan

farmerlogan Well-Known Member

Not sure how this affects household tanks, but our 30 gal (?) outdoor "pond" is pretty gross looking from an astetic point of view ... we almost never clean it and when we do, we just rub down the scum with our hands, we NEVER feed the fish (for the last 2+ years at least), and let me tell you, these are the happiest, biggest fish I've ever seen.

Yes, they're only goldfish, but seriously, I started with the cheapest goldfish I could find at the pet store -- feeder fish that are the size of your finger nail -- now one of them is an inch thick and about 6 inches long!! I've always had terrible experiences with indoor tanks & was sceptical about a pond, but I said I'd give it a try. WOW, I am so glad I did.

One more note on our cleaning process - every day or so, we take out a few gallons & use the poopy water as I call it, to feed my plants. Oh my gosh, my plants are gorgeous, huge & healthy. I'm trying on my vegis this year. We also replace the water we took out.

Don't know if this helps, but it's been an amazing thing to watch.