Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean this stuff or should I just buy new?

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
What's wrong with it that makes you want to start over?

You should be doing a 20% water change every other week using a gravel vacuum as part of your regular aquarium maintenance. If your tank is not overcrowded, you're not overfeeding and the filter is working properly, your gravel will not be so dirty that you should need to start over.

Emptying a tank and washing the gravel and refilling it is essentially the same as starting all over with the nitrogen cycle. You'll have ups and downs with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and will seriously stress the fish physically causing some to die.

Wipe down any algae on the glass (turning off the light and making sure not to overfeed will solve this problem), do a 20% water change every other week using a gravel vacuum, change the filter pad once a month and use Stress Coat and Stress Zyme according to the instructions. Again, turn off the light and make sure not to overstock the tank and do not overfeed the tank and you'll have no problems.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....it's a 3 gallon tank with one little goldfish from the fair 3 years ago. I have to admit that I have neglected the poor thing. I've changed the filter a few times a year, vacuumed the gravel a couple times and very likely over fed. This last year was horribly busy with lots of health issues with my father so it hasn't been cleaned all year, just added more water. :lookout: Today I decided to clean his house and put him in a little triangle tank with 2/3 of the tank water and 1/3 distilled water. The gravel is quite yucky. Would just a good rinse do ok? It's not imperative I get this just right but he deserves some comfort! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
A good non soap/cleaner rinse is fine, i would add some stress coat, try to save at least half his water next time and replace the filter or was it out at least once a month

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Actually, the gravel probably has bacteria in it that are converting a lot of the ammonia that he produces otherwise he probably wouldn't be alive at this point. Just rinse it in purified water or vacuum it thoroughly, then vacuum again in a few more days. If you want to replace the gravel, do it slowly so that the bacteria can spread from the old gravel to the new.

http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/biofiltration.shtml

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
Since you've already got the fish in a different container, rinse it well in purified water and put that gravel into the tank with the fish...slowly, just a small handful at a time so as not to create a tidal wave.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help! I'll pick up some Stress Coat tomorrow when I get his new air stone.
I would love to have a tank full of Neon Tetras but I'm afraid I'll kill them. I'm not good with fish usually.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
There is some stuff that is allot better than stress coat but expensive but its worth it if you have something you really like, or something expensive.
Get a bigger tank, it may not make sence to you, but the bigger the tank the less work it is for you.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You need a ten gallon tank or larger. They are a lot easier to keep clean. I also vote to just rinse the gravel and put it back in. You don't need distilled water. Put tap water into a bowl and let it sit overnight to get rid of the chlorine and reach room temp. If there is chloramine in your water, you need a special fix from the pet store.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe for a mini school of Tetras but not for one little goldfish.
I did only rinse the gravel as well as the plastic plants and rocks. I used filtered water as we have well water. I put about 3 cups of the old tank water in the fresh tank while the fish sat in the small(er) temporary tank. Today I put all that water and the fish back in the bigger tank. He is happy as a clam!
If I ever get a bigger tank and nicer fish I'll be much more serious about doing all this just right. I appreciate all the replies and help!

You need a ten gallon tank or larger. They are a lot easier to keep clean. I also vote to just rinse the gravel and put it back in. You don't need distilled water. Put tap water into a bowl and let it sit overnight to get rid of the chlorine and reach room temp. If there is chloramine in your water, you need a special fix from the pet store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts