aquaponics garden shrimp/catfish

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by edrnrman, May 18, 2005.

1. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

well began this past weekend to construct my aquaponics garden;
    im using an old bath tub with a half barrell to hold plants in , in the tub i have 50 channell catfish, and using a fountain pump to run water to half barrel. i planted this barrell with 6 jalapeno plants,
    then i bought a 1750 gallon pool from walmart for 100.00 dollars in this i will try and grow freshwater shrimp. using more barrels on my deck with plants to recirculate the pool water and keep clean. so im taking pictures and will try to keep an update as the project unfolds. so far catfish are doing fine still waiting for weather to warm enough to get my shrimp shipped in to stock pool. im in southern virginia and its still a little cool for the shrimp but that should change anytime.
    so hope you'll check in and see how this goes.

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I sure will, I want to try this too! Is the bathtub less than three feet tall? I want to try tilapia, but can't afford a tub that deep. There is one at Dollar General for $30 that is around 2'. I'm tempted to try it and see what happens. I have a friend that says we can go and net tilapia fingerlings in a place that he fishes regularly.

hollym

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Do keep us updated on this. I have been looking at aquaponics setups for several years now, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I am very interested to know how the shrimp work out for you.

BTW - where did you order your shrimp from?

Shane

4. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

the bath tub is an old tub so its fairly deep i would guess its at least holds 50 to 60 gallons of water, depth should not really mater as long as enough oxygen stays in the water i plan on letting fountain pump water to barrels continuously to allow water cleansing i place drain about an inch from bottom of barrel so should not drown the plants.
    i got the shrimp from texas 1000 shrimp including shipping 90.00
    but i found a shrimp farm in n.carolina i may be able to purchase bigger shrimp from next time. im starting with post larve so will take awhile to get big. if im succesful i will try to get a heated building so i can start early and have bigger juveniles to stock with next season . this is mainly a begginers crash course at the moment. i will try to find somewhere to post pics soon.

5. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

well a bad day for the catfish yesterday i didnt change part of the water while trying to get the barrel garden up and running so i lost a few to waste build up i imagine, so i changed most of water this morning so hope that holds em till i get barrel with rock going tonight. i hope. im waiting for the silicone to seal on barrell drain. so very important lesson # 1 is to change part of the water daily if your filter is not running.
    got the filter working on the shrimp pool this morning and replaced swimming pool filter with bio balls to help build good bacteria while waiting for the shrimp to arrive. think im going to add a few pond plants to both setups just for good measure to help with water filtration and ph.

6. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

How are you raising the shrimp in the pool? Are they just running around in there or are they in PVC racks? I have seen the racks, but I don't really understand how those are managed.

7. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

yes this is right, i will be building floating rectangular pvc shelving with bird mesh tyed to each layer 2 inches apart. got the supplies yesterday to start building this weekend. you can find pictures of these cages on the texas aqauculture web sight. the bird mesh will be horizontal so it will give the shrimp places to hide while they molt.
    i will post pictures as soon as i can get a host sight up and running.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sounds fascinating. I've been wanting to try something of the sort. I love fresh catfish and shrimp but won't touch the stuff at the grocery store. I'm thinking of making tanks with concrete blocks and a pond liner.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Just another thought, why not use old deep freezes for tanks? They would be free, already have a drain and you could remove the lid and have an instant tank.

10. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

thats a mighty good idea i would say . would only work for catfish though not enough room for shrimp. shrimp must eventually have more room as they are very territorial. im also considering some kind of concrete block pond like your talking about. ive been checking on the price of liners course there not cheap . for shrimp the idea pond size would be fairly big and probably 3 ft deep to allow lots of room for the pvc racks. im thinking of eventually having a well dug on my other 5 acre tract and building maybe 2 ponds to grow the shrimp . the well would supply my watering needs.

11. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I am a little confused. Are the shrimp kept in the PVC racks, like cages? Or are the racks open to the rest of the pool? How many pounds do you estimate you can get from this system?

Thanks for the info!

Shane

12. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

yes the racks will be open to rest of pool this is just shelving to allow the shrimp to have places to go because they are bottom feeders. http://county.ces.uga.edu/habersham/aqua/upstrom.htm this will explain the pvc substrate also this is where you can order shrimp.
    as far as pounds of shrimp if all goes well would be in the 50 to 80 pound range but not sure how big i can raise them in this swimming pool.
    the university of virginia raised them and had about a 48 % survival ratio so if can improve on that i would hope for 50 to 80 pounds.

13. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I had seen that site before, I couldn't tell from their pics if the shrimp were caged or not. Nice info to have..

I think I have read about that UV study before, but weren't they stocking into a 4000 gallon pool? You would be doubling the population density if you stock into a 1750 gallon pool.

Shane

14. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

nope not caged just extra area to hide in .and you maybe right about the 4000 gallon but do not think they used the same method with the pvc netting. according to craig in texas this method should work of course as with anything bigger is probably better . but like i said if you get a 50 % survival its still alot of shrimps for the barbee

15. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

True enough! Keep us updated. I really want to know how this experiment turns out!

Good Luck!
    Shane

16. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

well after an eventful weekend that started with a big thunderstorm on thursday night that ended with me having a broken well pipe. i started friday with a backhoe digging up my well pump pipe. so got that fixed and on sunday after looking at my lopsided walmart pool i decieded to go on and drain it and level it again since i had so much loose dirt from the pipe digging. and praise the lord i did it, i now have a totally level swimming pool after 4 attemps the week before. so the shrimp should be arriving tommorow but with the cool weather here in virginia im debating on waiting another week. the pool was only 64 yesterday morning when i drained it so that not to good for shrimp i think they go dormant at 65 degrees. so i will be doing some more checking on that to see what effect all the tempature shifts might do to them. anyway on thursday before the storm i got my garden barrel planted with jalopena peppers and running the water from the catfish pool to the barrel so catfish are doing great very clean water and they eating happily so that part of project is going good . now that pools level i'll be setting up 2 or 3 more barrels to run from shrimp pool to those garden barrels this week and building my pcv racks for the shrimp. so alls welll that ends well so far.

17. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

Well Going On 3 Weeks Now And The Catfish Seem To Be Doing Well. I Have 9 Jalepeno Pepper Plants Now In The Barrell And They Seem To Be Doing Well. Getting Excited Now The Shrimp Will Arrive On Tuesday The 6th. The Pool Has Turned Nice And Green And Is Full Of Small Insects So This Will Help Feed The Small Shrimp So The Should Have Plenty To Eat. Spent The Weeekend Building The First Pcv Rack ,spaced The Bird Mesh At 2 In Intervals. Also Will Be Looking For Some Milk Crates To Stack In The Middle Of Pool To Help Fill Out Any Dead Space And Give Them As Much Usable Area As Possible. Now Tonight Will Hopefully Get Tomatos And Basil Growing In 2nd Barrel To Be Fed From The Shrimp Pool. So Will Report Back In Soon With A Shrimp Report

18. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Wow your project sounds like it is really working well! I hope you will keep us posted, it is very interesting to read about.

hollym

19. edrnrman

edrnrman Member

well the shrimp will arrive tommorow so i getting exciteed . the catfish are still doing well but i will say its very important at this point to change out at least half the water on a reqular basis. i dont think the plant roots that act like a biological filter have really kicked in so its important to check the waters ammonia levels so the fish dont die holding at lot of fish in small area creates ammonia problems. so definatly invest in a test kit if you try this project.

20. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Holly...have you tried freecycle? www.freecycle.org or craigs list? www.graigslist.org. Yahoo has free cycle too thats how I found it. Its in the group list.
    I just got some fencing for free I just had to go get it. People are always remolding and getting rid of tubs check it out.
    Sorry edrnrman, Didnt mean to hijack your thread......
    I am attempting to build a pond too I put a maple log in the water just in case the chickens fall in they wont drown I hope. But the dang thing is starting to grow!! LOL