Aprons, warm memories. I think every Apron has a story.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Irene texas, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Irene texas

Irene texas Well-Known Member

I was looking through the Good will store, [ one of my favorite stores] I found this apron. Later when I got home and Ironed it, I felt an odd connection.Who had hand stitched this thing, someone whose hours of biscuit and pie making, makeing cookies for the children who are all grown now, probably old. I remember my mom who always wore a apron. And if someone came to the door she would fling the apron off. I also remember how my german mom was not shy, When I brought my blue eyed sailor home unexpected, she had her big apron on over her panties and bra. She never said a word, Just said hello and went about her washing dishes. Poor Tom didn't know what to say. Bless his heart we have been married 57 years, and he still remembers that. I have not worn a apron for years. I think maybe it would be a good idea, I sure do spot a lot of clothes. Just a thought, since they washed the clothes on scrub boards maybe the apron cut down on laundry. Hugs. Irene

2. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I adore aprons!
    its kinda funny too, my mother never wore one.

But. as silly as it may seem, I get more done when I have on my apron.
    I have a cleaning apron, a baking apron and a garden apron. as well as a few whatever aprons. I don't just plop down on the couch wearing them,.... I do what needs done. so, yep I get more done when I have them on.

I also think my kids listen better when I have my aprons on. *Laugh all you wish.. but when Mom has on her apron, she means business. and there will be no peace till she's done ;).

my 3 yr old wont listen? well you'll find her holding onto my apron stings and pouting because mommy wont let her let go and get into trouble again.

I cant ell you how many eggs have been saved from breaking because I had my apron on to stick a few in....
    I have hatched 2 chicks safely in my apron pocket.
    too many cukes and tomatoes to Carry in from the garden? NEVER fear! apron is here ! Its amazing how much those suckers can hold when ya pick up the bottom and fill her up!

my apron pockets carry everything from my cell phone & chap stick & clothes pins to a baby bunny or puppy who is chilled.

and of course, some people use them to keep their "normal" clothes clean too,. :D

I Vote to bring the apron BACK!! :)

3. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I am getting better about wearing my aprons. Otherwise, I stain my shirts while cooking, guaranteed. My mom didn't wear an apron, but my grandma did. She died when I was a baby, but there are a lot of pictures of her wearing one. My mom has this habit of throwing the dishtowel onto her shoulder. Whenever I do that I think of her.

I know what you mean about the connection Irene.
    All of my aprons were bought new, but I have bought things at Goodwill that were clearly the remnants of someone's estate. Cast iron pots, knitting and sewing items, large lots of yarn, old books, etc

One of my favorite things came in an odd grab bag of sewing items. It is a little piece of wax and you can see where the sewer had slid her needle across the wax time and time again. She was probably a quilter.
    I treasure that odd little piece of wax, go figure lol.
    I wonder about the woman whose needle slid across the wax. Who was she sewing for? What did she make?
    I wonder if she would be happy knowing that the little chunk of wax is used for my needles now. :)

4. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

My daughter (8yrs old) has always had a fascination with aprons and has collected them for a few years now. When she was 2 I made her an apron that holds crayons and she still uses it. When we go to antique stores she always looks at the aprons. She has bought a few and wears them while playing dress up. I think it has to do with the fact that she loves the Little House on the Prarie books. She also wears her bonnet in the summer.

I should wear an apron, I can't do dishes without geting my shirt wet....maybe I'll make me one!

5. Dente deLion

Dente deLion Well-Known Member

About 40 years ago my great aunt made an apron for my mom out of a yellow flowered dishtowel. Mom used to wear it every night while making supper to protect her work clothes. When she stopped dressing up for work, she stopped wearing the apron. Then, a few years ago, she finally got around to making a will, and asked each of the kids if there was anything special of hers that we'd want when she died. I told her I wanted the apron, and she gave it to me right then. I rarely wear it, though; most of the time I don't think of it, and when I do, I'm afraid I'll ruin it. I imagine when she does die (100 years from now!) I'll want to wear it every minute of every day.

6. farmhome5

farmhome5 Well-Known Member

I wear an apron everyday and agree I get more done with it on. My girls never did until one Christmas I bought them each one and put a bible verse in the pockets. It started a chain of phone calls the next July. "Hey, I just put my apron on for the first time and found a bible verse." Each daughter dug up their long forgotten apron to find their verse. For months I just thought they didn't think much of them. Now when I walk into one of their homes more times then not they are wearing their apron. :)

7. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I love aprons. I buy them at garage sales, just for the memories. They remind me so much of my grandmother. I just bought a book "Aprons" from Crossings, and it is so wonderful. It also has a pattern for an apron in the back of it. Seems like the old memories are the best for so many of us "oldtimers".

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I can't remember my Grandmother or Mother ever wearing an apron but I have seen a picture of my G-Grandmother wearing one.

I'm an apron wearer myself. I started about 8 years ago when a fellow soaper made one for me as a surprise.

I has so many uses that I can't imagine not wearing one when I'm at home.

9. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter wants an apron. Do any of yall know a good website with instructions on how to make an apron?

10. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have a few that were my grandmothers...some are even the pinnafore kind. I love them. It reminds me of watching I Love Lucy...women just don't dress up like that anymore.

11. Merri

Merri Well-Known Member

I love old aprons,too. I didn't see anyone wearing one when I was growing up, but they feel deeply nostalgic to me. I have a few that I like to wear, and even though I don't like wearing skirts or dresses, I feel pretty with a ruffled gingham apron over my blue jeans! I have a large glass door in the dining room, and I made a valace of aprons, with the string of one apron tied to the one next to it. I don't have the patience for cross-stitch or embroidery, but I enjoy looking at all the time and effort someone else put into making a pretty pattern on a simple apron. Vintage aprons have become very collectible, so they must mean something to lots of us. (I also love old tablecloths and linens.)

12. mothergoose

mothergoose Well-Known Member

Oh Merri, I agree with you. I not only love and wear my aprons daily, I have the same nostalgic feelings about old tablecloths and other linen. My Mother is Swedish and I can hardly remember a time she didn't wear an apron, hence, I was born into wearing aprons. I hardly ever take them off once I put it on in the morning. I have many styles and one special one to wear to town.
    I can remember every Sunday, my Mother and my adopted German Grandma would step in the house and on went the aprons! Such good memories! Both my DDs really notice if I happen to not have one on! Toni

13. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

My favorite apron is one that doesn't fit me anymore. My gramma Sarah ALWAYS wore a full apron and she made them for herself. When I was in kindergarten I spent every afternoon with her so she made me an apron to match one of hers. It's navy blue with red rick rack and a little pocket in the front. I can remember complaining that the pocket was too small to put anything in, so she sewed a larger one right over top, so the little pocket is hidden inside.

I didn't think about it until I was grown-up but sewing was very hard for my gramma to do because she had the use of only 1 arm. And here I was complaining about my small pocket.

Gramma's gone but this apron hangs on a hook in my kitchen today.

14. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Me too . Without one I make a mess out of my clothes! :)

veme

15. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I love aprons too!! I have several cross stitched ones my grandmothers made for me when I was in high school and for wedding gifts in 1960. I also love buying used ones in auction boxes and have quite a few gingham cross-stitched ones. In 4-H our first sewing project was a gathered apron. My first embroidery project was an apron grandma bought for me and then taught me how to embroider. My most recent acquisition is so-o-o special I just wish it could talk. Its a full apron made of 1930's or 1940's feed sack fabric and trimmed with tiny rickrack. It has several patches and is worn so thin in places you could probably read through it. I don't wear it because it was made for someone MUCH larger than me. I do regularly wear an apron when I'm baking but not so much when I'm cooking although I should. I also wear an apron to the garden and use it to carry produce.

16. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

The red rick rack brings back memories! My fathers multi-colored apron always hung on a hook inside the bathroom door. I remember it vividly. I just met with my step-mother for the first time in about 20 years. Dad died in 1990. She still has his apron and is going to send it to me. His mother, my grandmother, made it for him.

My mother and grandmother always wore aprons. I have my own and so does my husband. In fact, my husband made an apron for 4-H or for home economics and STILL has it!

The memories are wonerful.

Pat

17. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Thanks for the memories guys! I love aprons too. My mother wore an apron and so did both of my grandmothers. I don't very much, although I should.

I remember my mother letting us pick out one of her pretty ones to wear for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner preparation.

Having been in the antique business I sometimes come across them and try to wash and iron them up. I too always feel deeply connected to whoever made it.

I also love old tablecloths and I have several which I use daily. It's amazing how well made they were. Most of the ones I have were passed down to me by my mother. They still look pretty.

18. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I love aprons too! I have 4 that hang on my pantry door to be grabbed at a moments notice. I am caught regularly answering the door in one. I'm with Dana...there is not much that I don't use an apron for! I even load canning jars into it from the laundry to the kitchen since my little hands can only hold so many!