Homesteading Forum banner

Apr 12--What's happening in your garden?

1K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  Jaclynne 
Its beautiful here! We just came thru our 'Easter spell' without a real frost, tho it did dip back down to the upper 30's a couple of nights. For those not in NE Tex, an 'Easter spell' is the last cold weather we expect. It always warms up the mid to last of March and you get to thinking its safe to plant everything. But we always get a little cold snap around Easter, we've even gotten snow after March days in the 70's and 80's.

I am learning that my DH has vastly different ideas about gardening than I do. Its our first garden together, having gotten married last August. Maybe people should share a garden before they marry! :rolleyes:
He has some really cool ideas but they all involve chemicals and commercial fertilizer. I'm very sensitive to chemicals and devoutly outspoken about organics. We'll see how this works out.

One of DH cool ideas was his method of planting tomatoes. He first lays a 4" drainage pipe, with capped end, in a trench and covers it with garden soil, allowing an elbow and 2' extension to protrude above ground. We build/throw up a low row in our sandy soil. This pipe/row is then covered with a black plastic. (We found it in 3X50 ft rolls at Home Depot - perfect!) Throw dirt along the edges to secure the plastic. Slits are then cut in the plastic along each side of the pipe- spaced appropriately for tomatoes (which we did not agree on :no: ). Tranplants are set out in thru the slits in the plastic and the whole thing is watered thru the pipe extension. He says water about every 3rd day and weekly apply fertilize. ( He likes Miracle Grow, I like manure tea or fish emulsion.)

My new fig tree is really taking off, even tho it is still in the pot, I can't decide where I want it. We have little peaches nearly quarter size and dime size plums.

There's not much planted in the garden yet but the seedlings are looking good. Free seeds all sprouted! :D

Finally got the water line run out to the garden. This will be be a big help!

Roses are flush and smell delicious!

Life is good! :) :)
Halo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.