Apr 12--What's happening in your garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Apr 12, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I've got lots and lots of stuff peeking through in my perennial bed.
    It was NEW last year and this is all a new experince for me-----I'm EXCITED!

2. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Just getting re-started here. We finished the big move Saturday, so today Big Bertha is making her groundbreaking debut. Yahoo! I have tomatoes and cukes and melons that are dying to go in the ground.

3. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

I am putting my compost in bags so I can move it to the land. I am putting the trees I bought in the ground temporarly becasue the ground needs to be tilled where they will go permenetly. Slowly but surely I'll get the garden dirt packed up, and redo it here for the future new owners. I am almost 9 months pregnant, so I have to do a little at a time or my husband will kill me! I have the best soil here, so Im taking what I can with me, because at the land it is all clay, so Im going to start out with raised beds.

~Marisa :)

4. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Just had the hyacinths bloom...

There are only two of them. Everything has been dug out of the front two beds in preparation for a full-length front porch, so will not get any tulips or such (and the weedy stuff is gone, too!!!) It will get peppers, eggplant and zucchini, which can be moved if we need to before building.

The side beds are full of echinacea, monarda, dock and other herbs, and are peeking up now.

The garden???? Hmmm... besides the thistle, it's gotten a good dose of swear words and blood so far, and a couple wild violets...... Will be turning in a few days. TOOO COOOOLD!!!! (29 degrees last night!)

Sue

5. dot

dot Well-Known Member

Corn and pole beans are planted. Potatoes are coming up.

6. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

Not much my chickens found the seeds, The seedlings are doing ok(planted in trays away from the chickens)
    -- Tim

7. jersey

jersey Member

Spring is almost here and my perennial gardens are waking up: clematis, roses, iris, poppies, sedum etc.

Intended to plant my potatoes on Good Friday but the tiller quit half way down the row. Saturday, Sunday and today we have winds at 20+ so I haven't ventured out to the vegetable garden with my spade yet...herbs are coming up in the kitchen plots and the fruit tree buds are starting to swell. All is good.

Catherine (5a)

8. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I cheated and bought some tomoato plants :rolleyes: , but I started my cucumber, watermelon, canatloup, okra, yellow and peter pan squash, green beans all from seed. THe Moon and Stars watermelon hasnt come up yet, Im beginning to wonder... The okra hasnt either, The beans are poking thru the ground now, and the squash has about 4 leaves each. The cucumber has 3 leaves :) I reseeded the okra in case none of the first batch do anything. I also added some Jubilee watermelon too. Should get Moon and Stars, Jublee, sugar baby and crimson if anything comes up....
    We were in the 85 to 89 range now weve dropped back to the 65 to 76 range. So much jumping in temps must be playing havoc with my garden....Normally my seeds pop up and you can see a nice green "fuz" across the garden. Only thing causing that green fuzz look now is some weeds starting near the strawberries :waa:

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Denver we had two days of rain and two days of snow. It was badly needed. I was hoping to plant beet seedlings outdoors that I started indoors. (never done that with beets before) Seeds for cool weather salad greens that I planted in my boxes 3 weeks ago are sprouted and about 2" tall. I would have picked my first salad but for the weather. I need to thin soon.

Anyone got pictures?

10. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Tomatoes are starting to put on fruit. Have been digging a few new potatos for dinners. Already finding red potatos as big as soft balls. Picked a bucket full of swiss chard this afternoon, as well as a bucket full of english peas. Snap beans are about a foot high. Corn is about 18 inches tall now. Carrots are still doing great. Set out more yellow squash plants. Watermelons are starting to run some good vines. Will probably pull up what's left of the turnips, and let the chickens have them at the end of the week. Then go back and start planting purple hull peas. Also going to plant another dozen tomatoe plants next weekend. Everything else is just growing.

All the fruit trees are doing great. Apple trees finally decided to bud out this week. Peaches are about as big as a quater right now.

11. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

The rain has set in and in clay that means it's going to be a while before the ground get 'broke'. In the greenhouse the tomatoes are setting true leaves,the flowers and watermelons are about 2" high, the muscadine starts are putting out little buds and the black walnut 'whips' are starting to show life!!!

The frost did not (yet) get all my peaches,apple,blueberry,blackberry or plum blossoms... So maybe there is hope that my orchard will be productive!

I have put together enough wooden ware to complete 5 more hives and they are ready for the new bees!

12. dnelmo

dnelmo New Member

I have sweet corn just poking through, I have transplanted my tomatoes and peppers, my potatoes are way up and my peas are looking good. Spinach, lettuce and carrots are looking good too. We had a good chance for a frost last night so I had to cover everything up with lawn clippings or newspaper. It did lightly frost on car windshields but did not seem to frost at ground level. Hopefully I'll get green beans planted this weekend. April 15th is our average last frost date (central Oklahoma).

David

13. momma

momma Member

I just got into the community garden on Saturday, and it's kind of a wreck! The last two days my husband and I have been raking the top layer of giant dried-out dirt clods off. We're hoping to get compost worked into (or at least on top of) everything by this weekend, so we can get the cold stuff in the ground. We've never done this before, so wish us luck!

14. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Oh boy, you southerners have me green with envy! It'll be 4 months before we taste a homegrown tomato. Most of the perrenials are poking through. I bought a really nice French lilac last year, and the buds are really swollen now. I can't wait to see the flowers! We've planted lots of new trees, and have started a new apple orchard with semi-dwarf trees, to replace the beautiful old standard orchad that the beavers destroyed. :waa: . I gave my 6 year old my old fenced in herb garden. We cleaned it up together last week, and he's been fussing with the plants, and planning out where he will put new ones every day. I'm so proud that he wants to be a gardener!

15. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

Amen,
    My Garden just thawed recently and is currently a mud bog with the combination of thawing and nearly 10 inches of rain in the past week.

Some of the various flowers are finally out although only the crocus are flowering at this point.

Long range forecast is calling for 70's to near 80 over the weekend into monday, will be quite a change!

-mark in NH

16. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

melissa--I'm with you! Green is a good color if I am not the one wearing it!

Peas, onions and lettuce are all doing well. Blueberries, raspberries and grapes have all leafed out. Tomatoes, peppers, parsley and cilantro are all crying to go outside and play, but they have to wait at least 2-maybe 3 weekends.

Weather is supposed to be gorgeous the next week or so, but I am hesitant to transplant too early--east Tn freezes can come later than one would think.

17. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

Well, two weeks ago I planted two cherry trees, an almond tree, eight raspberry bushes, three boysenberry bushes, and three blackberry bushes. The cherries and some of the raspberries and maybe some of the boysenberries are doing well; no leaves on the blackberries or almond.

Yesterday I planted three blueberries.

So far in the garden I've planted garlic (should have done last fall), lettuce, spinach, rocket, mache, and, uh, something else. :) Some of the greens are coming up. I've also planted potatoes and they're starting to get leaves, and snow peas -- no sign yet. Next step is planting more garlic, grubbing out more beds and laying down newspaper and hay, starting tomato seeds, and seeing what other seeds I can start; I know I have a bunch of stuff to plant yet but our last frost date isn't until June 1.

In the flowery part, the lilacs are just coming into bloom, the forsythia is still hanging on, quince not yet, daffodils are mostly gone, violets never did really bloom this year, tulips are blooming, crocus are long gone, still waiting for iris, hyacinth are mostly gone, peonies are budding. I should have three more peony plants coming, and I want to plant poppies under the lilacs and other bushes. Apple trees are in bloom but I haven't heard any bees; apricot trees bloomed and actually didn't freeze this year and I can see what will become baby apricots!

18. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Its beautiful here! We just came thru our 'Easter spell' without a real frost, tho it did dip back down to the upper 30's a couple of nights. For those not in NE Tex, an 'Easter spell' is the last cold weather we expect. It always warms up the mid to last of March and you get to thinking its safe to plant everything. But we always get a little cold snap around Easter, we've even gotten snow after March days in the 70's and 80's.

I am learning that my DH has vastly different ideas about gardening than I do. Its our first garden together, having gotten married last August. Maybe people should share a garden before they marry! :rolleyes:
    He has some really cool ideas but they all involve chemicals and commercial fertilizer. I'm very sensitive to chemicals and devoutly outspoken about organics. We'll see how this works out.

One of DH cool ideas was his method of planting tomatoes. He first lays a 4" drainage pipe, with capped end, in a trench and covers it with garden soil, allowing an elbow and 2' extension to protrude above ground. We build/throw up a low row in our sandy soil. This pipe/row is then covered with a black plastic. (We found it in 3X50 ft rolls at Home Depot - perfect!) Throw dirt along the edges to secure the plastic. Slits are then cut in the plastic along each side of the pipe- spaced appropriately for tomatoes (which we did not agree on :no: ). Tranplants are set out in thru the slits in the plastic and the whole thing is watered thru the pipe extension. He says water about every 3rd day and weekly apply fertilize. ( He likes Miracle Grow, I like manure tea or fish emulsion.)

My new fig tree is really taking off, even tho it is still in the pot, I can't decide where I want it. We have little peaches nearly quarter size and dime size plums.

There's not much planted in the garden yet but the seedlings are looking good. Free seeds all sprouted! :D

Finally got the water line run out to the garden. This will be be a big help!

Roses are flush and smell delicious!

Life is good! :) :)
    Halo