Appropriate uniform for Vet's Day?

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Jan in CO, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby is going to our grandson's school class for their Veteran's Day program this year, so I'm wondering if his old Class A uniform is the appropriate one, or can he wear his flight suit? He will talk about planes he flew, what it takes to be a pilot in the Air Force, etc. Are there any regs about wearing the uniform for an event like this when you are retired? Can you just wear it as it was set up when on active duty? Same unit patches, etc? Hope I'm phrasing this correctly! He's elk hunting and won't be back until the night before the event, so it's up to me to get things ready. Thanks, Jan in Co

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Retired USAF may wear any uniform authorized at the time of retirement at "patriotic parades on national holidays" and/or "social or other functions when the invitation has been influenced by the member's active military service". Uniforms must be worn with "the same standards of appearance, military customs, practices and conduct in uniform prescribed for active duty members."
    Source: Air Force Instruction 36-2903 (29 September 2002), Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel

3. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

God bless all vets.

Nothing else to say.

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the info! I'll fix both uniforms and let him take his pick! Jan in Co

5. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

Dh didn't have a complete uniform to wear to college today, so he settled for his boony cap, bdu jacket and jump boots. One punk mouthed off something about "I want to be a warrior." Dh just stopped and looked at him, but he wouldn't return the look. I went to work at the hospital and counted silently to myself those of use who are veterans, combat and otherwise, including the guy who was brought into the ER with a core body temp of about 94. I guess I was the only one counting. I'm sorry to sound crass, as we all truly appreciate the kind words shared on this forum. Thank you.