Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

I would like to invite you and your families to the 150th Anniversary of the meeting of General Robert E. Lee and General U. S. Grant at Appomattox, April 10 - 12, 2015.

Yes I know this is early notice, but wanted to make sure everyone finds out about this so they can make any plans.

Yes I will be there and will be very easy to find. ;)

As the joke goes, I'll be dressed in blue (Union). But I will still be easy to find as I am the overall Federal Commander.

Here is a link for more information:

http://www.appomattoxhistoricalsociety.org/150th.htm

http://www.appomattoxhistoricalsociety.org/index_htm_files/2015%20Long%20Road%20Home%20flyer.pdf

The schedule will change as it is tweaked and adjusted. As it stands now the Cavalry Battle on Friday will be the Battle of Appomattox Station and the Battle of Appomattox Court House will be on Saturday.

Hope to see you there.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it will turn out differently this time. Grant and Lee will shake hands, combine their armies, and march on DC.

While "Grant" and "Lee" will shake hands as will all the soldiers as we reach across "the divide" I seriously doubt that we will march on Washington..

Even though it may be warranted! I don't think we would stand a chance with the smoke poles being carried.:smack

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just think of the symbolism.

I bet a million people would join the march.

Oh I agree it would be impressive to see both blue and gray clad soldiers and their spouses and kids marching on Washington City (how it was known during the Civil War).

I think many of the expected 10,000 reenactors would agree that we the people need to straighten out Washington.

BUT!
Do you really think us old codgers could march 200 miles?

I don't think so...:icecream:

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, just brought it up to a group of co-workers, the consensus is we plan to go!
Good! Hope to see you there.

My Daughter and Son-in-law hope to be able to make it from Oklahoma also.

We also have friends from MO coming. They all, of course will join in the reenactment if they can make it.

They did make it last year for the 150th Gettysburg..

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
Are you really going to be US Grant? That is so awesome! I can't make it. I sure hope you post pics!

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you really going to be US Grant? That is so awesome! I can't make it. I sure hope you post pics!

No I'm not US Grant!

The gentleman doing Grant is a Living Historian, who doesn't know or do the field command.

I'm his 2nd in command (which in this case would be Meade) executing the field command portion of the battles. In this case we are doing Appomattox Station (a Union Cavalry and Confederate Artillery battle) & Appomattox Court House (every one into the pool for this battle).

The difference between a Living Historian (1st person) and those like myself who do the battles is;
They know the person and what that person has done
I know how to move and command the troops on the field. I know what the private needs and wants out of a battle. I know and understand the original battle(s) and the movements. I'll have roughly 1000 troops to move and keep track of. Also I'll have about 40 artillery pieces and roughly the same in Cavalry. But then again I have a very skilled and experienced staff assembled to assist me in this endeavor.
As 2nd in Command I report directly to Major General US Grant.

My goal on Friday April 10 is to make Lynchburg think there is a thunderstorm coming in from the east.. :happy2:

Same goes for Saturday's battle.. :happy2:

Sunday is a day of solemn remembrance as we remember and portray 150th Anniv. of Gen. RE Lee's surrender of his army and the end of the US Civil War (yes it goes by other names).

I'm anxiously awaiting for this.. I hope it warms up and dries out..

On a side note some of my friends from Missouri are coming and fighting with the 45th PVI Co. K.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, I only live 20 minutes away from there and wasn't aware of it. Maybe we can go, sounds like fun.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the heads-up, I only live 20 minutes away from there and wasn't aware of it. Maybe we can go, sounds like fun.

:happy2: Thank you,

Just be careful there are multiple events happening that weekend.
1 at the Appomattox Ag & Ind. park on approx 300 acres This is where I'll be situated between routes 460 (southern edge) and 26 (eastern edge also the spectators entrance).

There is also an event at the National Park
Plus the town and county are having events at various locations, ie the Confederate Museum etc.
The County even shut down schools for the week..
They are taking this very seriously..

Traffic will be a bear so plan accordingly..

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just one last bump before I leave tomorrow morning and start setting up..

If you are in the area and enjoy seeing Civil War reenactments feel free to stop in. Also feel free to stop into the Union Commanders area and say hi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts