Appologies for the "why do people lie" thread

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, May 7, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I wanted to appologize for that thread I posted. It seems the people weren't liars...they were ignorant that they rabbit had already had babies!!!!!!

I find out a week later that they found 4 bunnies. The rabbit was kept on the back patio of an apartment. Around the slab of concrete was dirt. The doe dug under the slab and made a nest. She had at least 4 kits. When they gave her to me, they had no idea she had had any babies, at all...what do you expect when you keep a doe with a buck, is going tohappen???

Long story short, I went there, last night (because for some strange reason they couldn't say anything until a week later) to pick up the bunnies, and gather hair from her nest to put in the box. Well, I stick my arn im tha whole as far as it would go and still didn't reach the end. For all I know they may have a few more kits in there. The only reason they found these ones (which look about 3 weeks old) was they probably got very hungry and came out looking for mom/food.

I did my bery best not to show contempt/anger/disgust with the situation, but come on people...you have a femal rabbit burrowing under the slab and don't suspect anything? Then give her away? When I asked is she was pregnant because of the way she was acting when I got her, don't you think that would have rung some bells!!

So, I appologize for calling them liars but REFUSE to appologize for thinking they are absolutely irresponsible pet owners and should be barred from owning any other pets capable of breeding! :grump: :grump: :grump:

I tried to give the kits back to her and she refused to take them. Bit one on the nose and tossed him. I ended up putting them in with the Flemmish kits, that are about the same age....they were rubbed with the fur in the box, qand with the other kits. They were promptly peed on, because I scared one of the kits that was asleep in the box. I've checked them several times, so everything is fine.

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, this does happen a lot, but it really doesn't mean they should be barred from owning any other pets. What it really means is that they should learn to do some RESEARCH on the animal they desire to have, first! Afterall... how many other animals do you know of besides humans and rabbits that are capable of breeding year-round... or at such young ages? Most animals show visible signs of "heat"... and humans are most familiar with dogs and cats, right? Yes, it is ignorance, and the fact that they waited a week to say anything may have been due to severe embarrassment. Accidents happen and hopefully, they have learned a lesson from it.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. qtkitty

qtkitty Well-Known Member

I give you kutos for not loosing your temper .. i probubly would have .. expecially if the babies passed because of them doing that.

4. birdie_poo

I think I've just beenin a bad mood, but the moment has passed.

In my checking of the kits, they are doing wonderful. They are getting in and out of the box with the Flemmish kits. They hop around the cage with the other bunnies, who are about 7-8 weeks old, and boy do they make the kits look sooooo small.

I don't kow which doe has adopted them, but I saw one of them licking one of them, grooming, I guess. I will have to take photos because the size difference is so funny to see...have no idea what kind of bunnies these are, but hte mom has a real round head and is small...doesn't look like a rex, either.

5. birdie_poo

They found 2 more kits, but aren't going to give them to us. They want to try to raise them...they are using a bottle to feed them. One is unresponsive and has a hurt leg. I wonder how horrible they will feel when they die, knowing I had a doe that would take them and make them healthy?

6. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say congratulations on not losing it! From the sounds of things, I would have lost it completely. I know it's ignorance but still! Ignorance is NO excuse. I can't believe anyone would take on an animal of any sort and not try to learn as much as possible from any source available. Obviously they have resources there (you). I guess people think they can handle anything and will "learn as they go" without a teacher. I'm sorry for your angst. Just goes to show we all share in the responsiblity of educating others.... :no: