Applying stone to concrete block

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dixie912, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

We would like to add a stone face to a concrete block wall. We did it about 2 years ago and it worked out great, but we forgot the formula for mixing sand, concrete mix, and portland cement. Does anybody know the correct mixture?? Thanks!!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Here in Florida we use 1 part portland to 2.5 parts clean sand. I am not sure what you mean by the words 'cement mix', do you mean hydrated lime? Instead of lime we have used liquid dish soap in small amounts to promote air bubbles which makes the mixture more workable. This practise may be only for this area. Above measurements are by volume,use the least amount of water that you can and still work the mixture. I belive type 'N' is the correct cement for this application but do check with your local supply houses.

3. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

Is there any mortar mix in the mix? It seems that we had a 3 part mixture,(mortar mix, cement and sand) but we are not sure. Thanks so much for the help!!

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

mortar mix is premixed sand and cement. It really seems you could use that only and get a good adhesion.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

There is no "correct mix". Many different verisons are used.

A common one is:

1 part Portland cement
    1 part lime motar
    6 parts fine sand

Bit lean for most projects but is economical for large projects where nothing special is required.

Another is:

3 parts fine sand
    1 part lime motar

Or you can just follow the directions on the motar bag.

I always like to use a lime motar / Portland cement / sand mix but tend to go much stronger than most if I am "setting stones". Something like 1 part motar / 1 part cement / 3 or 4 parts sand. Basically I like to judge by the "stick properties" of the mix. Too lean mixes tend to fail with short lifetimes.

It is also important to pre-wet the stones / concrete block. A good mix has that "Right Feel" and it "Clings" just right when trowelled on. I start with a measured mix but usually adjust based on "Feel" and "Cling". A good mix is best judged in the way it "falls off" the mixing hoe when being mixed. Most cook book mixes are probably not the ideal for a particular project. The "Right Mix" for that job will perform well at all phases. Leaner mixes are good when not much handling is required and it is poured in a fill method or you are watching the budget. They don't finish as well as a stronger mix if grout lines are involved and those must be well tooled.

So I would say the mix depends on the project, how much you want to spend and what handling is involved, especially the look of the final grout lines. When in doubt go a bit stronger in most cases.

6. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

If the wall is less than 300 square feet, you are nat saving much by making your own mix. go to the mason supply or the depot and buy bags of mortar.