appliances

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Dec 18, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

you'd think getting new appliances would make me happy. i'm afraid it's got me all stressed out/ :help: :)

i want to buy the most efficient ones i can for the new house. i keep reading about tax credits for this. does anyone know how to go about it? is it something i should do before the first of january? or after? or what? is it worth the aggravation?

the other i thing hope someone can tell me, is there a traditional time of year when appliances go on sale? i noticed lowes had some on sale last week. can i expect that prices will be even lower after the holiday?

thanks for any and all, y'all. :)

2. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I believe the end of the year is a good time to buy and Lowes IS selling off certain models,at least at our store.

We picked up a dented Maytag washer at our local Lowes,pretty good deal too.

It was discounted over $200.

Don't forget the scratched and returned items aisle at your local Lowes.

As to the tax credit,I believe the store can give you details.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Check with your utility company,ours offers rebates.That might be worth your time.

BooBoo

4. nana-san

nana-san Well-Known Member

5. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

We call around to various stores and see if they have any slightly used or damaged returns. We got a beautiful Whirlpool EnergyStar glass-top stove from Best Buy this way because the door would't close tight. (DH fixed that). We also got an awesome EnergyStar side-by-side fridge from Sears because it had a dent in the side. (We figured since it would be up against a cabinet nobody would see the side!) Good luck shopping! :)

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

In VT Home Depot (and I presume any other appliance store) will help you fill out the Energy Star paperwork so you'll get the rebate. It is part of the selling process... I mean, if they can "sell" the Fridge for $50 less which doesn't come out of their pocket they're more than happy to make sure you fill out the paperwork correctly!

As we've had to replace our older appliances we've always gotten the Energy Star discount. The last one to be replaced and the biggest energy hog is the hot water tank in the basement >:-(

7. marvella

thanks all! that's exactly what i needed to know.

ps- oz- good luck with that maytag. i was a huge fan until about 10 years ago. last one i bought didn't last 5 years before it literally fell apart. a piece of junk.

8. oz in SC

Well if it lasts 5 years it means it would only have cost us .20 cents a day.

We would have bought used(we have NEVER bought a new washer or dryer in our lives...) but there was NOTHING in the paper or online locally.

We are kind of in the same boat as you are....

Our Barn-partment is going up as I type and we are already being asked about windows,doors and bath tubs.

By the way your house is VERY nice.

Good luck.

9. oz in SC

You get a rebate???

Hmm the new washer we bought is an 'Energy Star' model.

I will have to find out more.

I wonder if it makes a difference that we bought it 'as is' from Lowes and it was a return??

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You want a Maytag? I got your Maytag right here! And, it's VERY energy efficient!

[​IMG]

11. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I want that! Where did you get it?

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'll give you a very good deal on this like-new washer IF you can pick it up.

13. marvella

now there's a maytag you can trust! i had an older model i raised my family on for 17 years, while we were on a farm and the xdh did construction. i was very disappointed with the "new" one that ended up at the landfill not long ago. ds took the front off when it was a year old to do some repairs and that's all that was holding it upright! the whole "frame" warped to the side, and never was entirely right after that, not to mention all the parts that broke, one after another. my daughter had an old kenmore she sold me and it's dandy! just chugs right along, no muss, no fuss.

yes, oz. the house is exciting and nerve wracking too.

good luck on yours. i am looking forward to more pics!

14. TxGypsy

TxGypsy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is applicable to your situation but thought I'd tell you about it anyway. Lots of people don't know about it. If you are building a new house and put in propane appliances you can get a rebate from the propane board. If you are remodeling your house and replace an electric appliance with a propane appliance you can get an even bigger rebate. I think this is nation wide but I'm not positive. I know it is so in Texas. Check with your local propane dealer. I believe this would be in addition to any sort of other rebate.

15. marvella

that is interesting. i've done business with the local propane company for the last 15 years. i'm not real happy with them. they pretty much have a monopoly on propane and appliances. they refuse to service anything they don't install. :grump:

at the suggestion of my builder, i called a company in neighboring county. they were delighted to take my order. they will set the tank and everything for free. all i have to pay for is the first fill, which they priced at $1.59!!!/ gal, second fill 1.79, then market price after that. a great deal. the local company wanted $1000 up front for the install, after i have been using them for so long. this is my second propane service, so next time they *mess* up on the first one, i am calling the other guy.

i'll expect i'll be buying most, if not all, of the appliances at lowes so i will be sure to ask. thanks to all!!