Apples in storage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dustybottoms, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Dustybottoms

Dustybottoms Member

I' m wondering how long will apples keep in storage? Am I better off making applesauce and canning them?
    Dustybottoms

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

What kind of apples? Macintosh? Yellow Delicious? Greenings? Northern Spy? Or ???

MaryNY

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

It really depends on the variety.

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I can remember my Grandpa ,many years ago, storing hard green apples in the horse's oat barrells. The lasted quite a while, slowly ripened, and if they were mushy, the horse enjoyed them.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have bought red delicious and granny smith apples at the farmers market, and kept them in a PAPER bag in the fridge for 4 months. Every month or so I went through them looking for any that were showing signs of damage.

A bushel and a half of apples lasts a long time that way. After 2 months or so they tasted just like supermarket apples, but they still made very fine desserts.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I grow Regent, Sweet 16, Yellow Newtosh, Fireside, Northwestern Greening, and a number of other apples in Western Wisconsin. (these are the better keepers).
    We store them in an unheated root cellar that is part of the basement. There are 2 small windows that I can open in the fall to cool it down a bit quicker, and it is 30 to 50 degrees F most of the year, colder when colder outside of course.

This year I ate my last Fireside on July 4th--I had misplace a few of them and found them while looking for other stuff in the root cellar. Most years we have some edible apples into May for sure, but usually they are all eaten by then.

It depends a lot on the variety of apple--earlier apples won't store as long, and good storage apples might not be very tasty without at least a few months storage.

I make an effort to cool them off as soon as possible after picking and sorting, which sometimes means putting them out in the cool night air and them back into the milkhouse when it warms up in the day. I may store 6 to 10 bushels, and make cider of 20+ bushels, depending on the year.

If I had refrigerated storage, they would keep longer, and more reliably, but it would cost more to store them. My root cellar works fine. I put them in large bags inside of the plastic crates that dairies used to carry 4 gallon jugs of milk in. The bags help control moisture, and the crates are easy to carry and stack.

Jim

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I agree with Jim.. older "storage" varieties will keep in my cellar for several months if I make sure to remove any showing signs of spoilage. But to keep them reliably, into the fridge they go!

8. Dustybottoms

Dustybottoms Member

Very interesting! I didn't think to consider the variety. I will have to give this matter some more thought. Thank you for the replies! :)
    Dustybottoms