Apples, Apples, Apples!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by midwsthomestead, Aug 16, 2006.

1. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

I'm cross-postin' this here and in the cooking spot on this forum....not sure which is the best place for it!

Our new(last October) homestead has three apple trees, two of which are producin' very well WhooHoo! Now, being a newbie to such things, I wonder about the best way to preserve such a bounty. I've done lots of readin' online, but nothing beats the experience of other folks who've been there n done that--y'all know this! So, that being said, I'm asking for your input on freezin' my apples, ideas please! I plan to make up lots of apple pie fillin', for one thing. Anything like apple pie, apple tarts, etc goes over BIG here! Beyond that, I'm kinda at a loss as to how to freeze these things most effectively. What would be the best way to freeze them for muffin use later on? Again, share with me your ideas, please!!

~~

2. karsan

karsan Well-Known Member

I have five big apple trees, some years we drown in apples.

For muffins I would dry (dehydrate) them,peel, slice about 7-10 millimeters, (about a quarter of an inch I guess). Can be stored in room temp for ever, when dry. When you want to use them, cut them with a scissor, use like raisins.

If I make a stew or something, I cut an apple (or more) into it. Or you can fry apple along with onions. Or stir fry.

Some years when there are very few good apples I cut them up raw, for freezing, to save for the Christmas goose stuffing that is a must for our Danish christmas, but raw apples take a lot of space in the freezer. Usually the perfect apples of the late kinds will keep to Christmas, adn a little longer, if stored in a cold place. Anyway, apples can be frozen raw or cooked in any fashion. Only perfect apples with no bruises (apples are more fragile than eggs in that way) can be stored whole. Well, 'perfect' - there are certain spots in the skin that are OK.

I have made apple-orange marmelade, using the peels of oranges with apples and sugar and citric acid (and pectin sometimes). Apples that are not quite ripe contain more pectin.

I make apple juice in a machine, 'raw juice centrifuge' (probable not the right word but I think you get the idea). Anyway, although it is a big job cutting up the apples (no need for peeling or taking out the seed thing) it is worth it because the juice is wonderful. Firm apples should be used. The juice easily makes cider. If added sugar it can become wine. (But wine from the store is better).

Another way to make an apple drink is to cut apples into a pot and cook for a few minutes and then drain. Cooked with mint it is even better, after having been chilled.

Lots of apples have bad parts, worms, bruises. I use the good parts. Bad parts go to compost.

Go ahead and experiment! Congratulations!

karsan

3. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Applesauce is a favorite at our house I freeze it, also apple crisp and apple pie filling.
    apple bread is wonderful and freezes well. If you have just way too many apples make a trade with a neighbor who may have peaches, grapes or vegetables that you don't have enough of. I put all my apple peelings in the compost bin, so nothing is wasted.
    good luck

Shar

4. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

may I congratulate you on your problems....not a single apple here,

5. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Make apple leather.All you is make apple sauce or apple butter but instead of canning it you dry it.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We make apple pie filling, applesauce, and applebutter. We can ours, though. If I had enough I'd dehydrate some for snacking.