Apples and cherries dont bloom

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Shygal, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

This is the third year we have had no blooms on the apple or cherry trees :( Any idea what would cause this? The blueberries are fine , but the apples and cherries just will not bloom.

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

My cherries had a few blossoms this year but half of my apples didn't blossom at all. I think the warm weather in January and February threw them off.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

How old are the trees? Have they bloomed regularly in the past? Did they have buds on them in late winter?

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

There are several possible answers. Not enough sunlight. Too much nitrogen, ie. lawn fertilizers nearby, or fresh chicken manure. Spring frosts at the time the flowers are most susceptible. And MFM is right that flowering may be off schedule because of warm periods in the winter. We've been seeing alot of flowering in Jan-Feb on Bradford pears, and other plants because of temp extremes around here. Sometimes they'll reflower in the same year, but not very well and it weakens them too. We'll have temps in the high seventies in winter followed by temps of 20 degrees. It's getting hard to know when springtime arrives in the northeast. This last winter lakes and ponds never really froze solid in most of New York, and that meant more snow for us because of lake effect. In the past, glaciers would sudenly increase in size just before they melted completely for much the same reason. Cold air flowing over water that is warmer and that creates clouds and condensation. In winter that means more snow.
    Many types of apple trees will take a season off from producing about every five or six years too. It may be one or a combination of factors. Blueberries can sometimes get nailed by late frosts and not produce, however the highbush types need approximately 1000 hours of temps below 32 in winter to produce.

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

How much sun do fruit trees need? I planted two peace and one cherry tree here with a southern exposure, but about 7 feet away from the northern woods. The previous owners planted an apple and a sour cherry (with not polinator for the apple tree, LOL!) really close to the northern woods and were it doesn't have as much sun but for the high noon sun.

We are in NW WA Zone 4

kids

6. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

I late frost could have killed the blooms.

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

My linden and cherry tree are well established, but we had very very few blooms this year. I attribute it to a combination of factors, but mostly the drought last year and the warmer winter temps.

Pony!