Apple Tree Grafting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Mar 24, 2004.

1. I'm planning on grafting high chill hour branches onto a low chill either root stock or tree, so anyone tried this or have comments on what results I might expect to see.

As a side note, apparently the Twainese are doing something/research along these lines.

Planning on using Anna or Dorsett as the low chill trees/root stock.

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

It would seem the only question here is how far apart can the chill differential can be pushed.

Should be a fun experiment -- keep us posted with all the details.
    BW

3. Given the long term nature of such a project/experiment I was hoping that someone else might of undertaken this sort of thing, but guess I will just wing it.

As to how far to push the chill differential, I plan to try a number of different red apples grafts, mainly old time favorites, but the differential will most likely be only upto a 1,000 chill hours red apple graft, with the Anna at around 200 chill hours, so a 800 chill hour difference for the max, at this time, unless I can come across more info. that suggests that pushing for high differential might be worth pursuing.

Will keep the forum posted.;)

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Please email me on private messaging. I have a friend with an orchard management degree from Fresno State U in California who might be able to offer you some suggestions.
    BeckyW