Apple tree damage

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rita, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Yesterday I decided to put some fertilizer spikes around our four apple trees and noticed that the protective rigid plastic we had put around the trees 4 yrs ago was getting tight so I cut them off and found that a large part of the bark had rotted away! Boy, did I ever feel like a stupid novice. I scraped the loose stuff away but was wondering should I put anything on the rotted places, scrape down to good wood spray with something??? Help!!! Rita

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It's probably the wrong time of year to suggest doing this, but if it were early spring, I'de spray with dormant oil/sulfur combination.
    I'm sure someone might suggest something better for protecting tree from further rot going into winter. The concern I would have is fungus infections and also boring insects, thus the thought with a sulfur spray solution.
    You might also think about a garlic solution mixture. That's pretty good for a lot of plants and trees for some pest prevention and protection.
    Good luck with saving the tree. :)

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Without seeing the tree it is a little hard to say, but, there is a good chance that only the outer bark is damaged. Do not start scraping. If the cambium is intact it should be ok and the bark will regrow. If you scrape down to the wood you will remove this layer and damage the tree permanently. If you have some sulfer, you can dust the tree with it to keep bugs out, then wrap the tree with some old rags if it looks like it needs to be protected from critters. Check it to make sure no bugs hide under the cloth.

4. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the answers. Four trees were involved and only on the north side of the trunk. One was very bad, probably l/2 deep. I did scrape (my first reaction) and got down to where I saw yellow stringy fungi? and quit. We were trying to protect the trees from rabbits and end up with a terrible mess. Live and learn. Maybe it will save someone else the same trouble. Rita in TN

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Rita,
    maybe the tree is okay, and maybe better if you can try and defeat the fungus with sulfur or something. Don't know about your snow cover, but mice also might want to burrow under the grass if it's tall. Try cutting the grass very short around the tree perimeter a distance beyond the branches.
    good luck