apple syrup?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Those guys in new england take the sap from the maple tree and boil it in their sugar shacks for a long time and then sell maple syrup.

I'm wondering if a person could take the jiuce from sweet apples and boil it into a syrup too.

I tried to google for this, but came up with lots of recipes where it was more like "apple flavored syrup".

I wonder if you got a can of frozen apple juice concentrate and thawed it out. Would it essentially be apple syrup?

Anybody tried to boil apple juice to a syrup?

2. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know about tapping apple trees, but near here (central Indiana) I've seen Hickory syrup. Heard it's good, but haven't tried it.

I wouldn't think apple concentrate would be the same as tapping a tree, although you could certainly use it as a syrup.

3. Paul Wheaton

I'm not thinking of tapping an apple tree. I'm thinking of squeezing the juice from an apple and then heating it for hours and hours. All of the water comes off and all that should be left is an apple flavored syrup. But I've never heard of anybody doing it, so I suspect that this is a stupid idea.

4. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

There is one way to know for sure Paul... Get a box of apples and give 'er a whirl. Let us know the results, I am kind of curious.

GA

5. Paul Wheaton

My experience sez that I come up with lots of really stupid ideas. I post the ideas here first and people tell me why they're stupid. I then save myself hours of work! Sometimes I find a solution to what the downside is and then my stupid idea turns out to be not so stupid.

But I've found that it is always wise to ask here first. Hours or days of experimenting replaced by a few minutes of typing.

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

This is from "The Goddess Diet" book, they suggest it as a substitute for honey.

In a large sauce pan, boil the cider over high heat until reduced to 1 quart, about 1 1/2 hours. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until further reduced to the consistency of maple syrup, about 45 minutes. Let the cider cool completely, then store in a tightly sealed jar int he refrigerator. It will keep indefinitely.

I did this, and it does keep well. I did not use it as a pancake syrup, however. I may try that. Good luck!

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

apple syrup is nothing more then botched apple jelly!

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mixing white sugar with the apple juice would make more syrup with less apple juice much cheaper than boughten pure apple juice syrup.

9. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, it all makes sense, to do the same with apple juice as maple sap. Well, it didn't work for me the one time I tried. :D I was doing really well, it was thickening up nicely then I poured it into jars, boiling water bathed them and in the end got a nice batch of jelly. It's the pectin in the apples, the greener the better, think it has something to do with cooking the peels and/or cores. Now, for some reason this doesn't seem to happen with cider. Somewhere I ran across a recipe for boiled cider, nothing more than a concentrate and it didn't jell in the least. That time it turned out to be exactly what we planned, unlike the juice.

If you can make the syrup instead of jelly let us know, I'd like to make some.

LisaBug

10. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

http://www.appleacresfarm.com/

A tablespoon on a bowl of vanilla ice cream is delicious. More than a tablespoon would be too strong for my tastes. It's apple cider simmered down to a syrup.

11. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

Never say anything is a stupid idea beceause that is what they told Edison..and everyone else who ever invented something...go for it...and if you get it right, I'll order some.

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Take concentrated frozen apple juice, add some cinnamon, nutmeg, some butter and heat. Great over pancakes, ice cream, etc.

13. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

Paul, if you start from a fresh apple cider, yes! Most of the time it would only be reduced about half way toward syrup, then sugar is added or it is too strong (and expensive) for many people. If you boil it further though, you can make a product that was mostly unknown outside of New England called "boiled cider". This is a think syrup to almost solid that is very strong. It is then used for baking some absolutely incredible pies. Not many do it anymore, but far and away the bet apple pie I've ever had was made this way. They used boiled cider and dried apples and the flavor way very intense. Most of the others who ate it though did not like it as we have gotten used to a bland watered down taste, and this was neithe bland or watered down. Good luck it you try.

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It won't be as sweet as maple syrup by a long shot. Rather tart, even if the apples are pretty sweet to start with. You might want to add a little sugar unless you like it tart. I like a little cinnamon and cloves in mine. It is great to add to tea.