Apple peeler/corer/slicer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wags, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember my mom having a contraption that peeled, cored and sliced apples. When it worked it was great, when it didn't I learned new words.... :nono:

I've searched around on the web and have found devices that appear to be the same thing... ranging in price from $14-$50. Does anyone use these, and is there a particular brand or type that you would recommend?

Our neighbor offered us all the apples we could pick on her trees and so far I've canned 30 quarts of applesauce. And now I'm starting in on making apple butter - a friend gave me a great crockpot apple butter recipe - that is easy and yummy!

But my hands are shot from all the peeling and cutting and I'd like to simplify and speed up the process.

TIA

2. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I got mine from Pampered chef.

3. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

I also use the pampered chef one, and like it.

4. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

I bought one from the Pampered Chef, and though it was quite overpriced and I also bought the "stand" for it, it really is quite handy. If one tries to sell you the stand seperately, forego it, the mechanisim will easily bolt to a countertop or table edge.

I use mine for apples in the fall, but the rest of the year I use it on potatos - leaving the peeler blade locked back and only using the slicer attachment, then I cut the rings in 1/2 and viola - potatos ready for seasoned curly fries!!

5. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I got mine at our local hardware store for about 20 bucks. I love it, it saves a lot of work especially since I have a touch of arthritis in my hands. It clamps on the table. The name on the side is Progressive. I assume thats the brand name, I don't have the box any more.

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Another Pampered Chef junkie here....in fact I have two...my sister gave me hers....

7. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

I picked mine up at farm and fleet, and it works great. Less than $20 if I recall. Boy I can't believe you did that many quarts without one!!!!

8. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'm a Pampered Chef Consultant and a baker and i wouldn't use anything else.

It peels, cores and slices all at once. Also there are ways to only have it peel. When it slices it has to core also as it is the same mechanism that does both. I use it for the apples for pies, crisps, applesauce - everything. It is so fast and even kids can do it which makes it very fun.

I've had mine for 6 years and it still works like a charm.

I also use it for normal size potatos. And, with potatos, when it cores it slices (1/8" thick) some people fry them into curly cues and also it can be spritzed or brushed with olive oil and put around a roast. I also use it for potatos when i have a pile of mashed potatos to make because it boils up the thin slices really fast.

I have even done sweet potatos - not perfect, but when i have a ton at thanksgiving, i split the large sweet potato in half (across) and then go from there - with those sometimes you have to touch them up a bit.

I use mine so much that i keep it under my kitchen sink with my mixing bowls. To clean, i just rise with water and sponge and let drip dry.

The cost is $28.50 plus tax and shipping. Feel free to PM me.

perennial

9. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I bought mine from Lee Valley and it was great last year when we had tons of apples to peal, core, and slice.

10. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I bought a cheapo $14.99 apple pealer/corer made by Back to Basics at Fleet Farm. I've had it for a couple of years, and use it every fall when I'm making applesauce. It came with a built in stand/base. It works well for me, and I don't regret not buying a more expensive model.

11. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

I use mine when making pies, but for apple sauce and apple butter, I just quarter the apples and throw them in, peels, seeds, and all, then runn them through a food mill once they're cooked. If it's sauce I just can it. If it's butter I add brown sugar and spices and then can it.

My corer/peeler/slicer has the suction cup base. I have tile and maple counter tops. I kind of wish I had the clamp on type, because the suction cup doesn't hold well enough.

Dan

12. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen a couple of places that say that suction base is the only way to go. Anyone have any experience with those?

13. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

MIne is suction. If I had the option for clamp I would prefer it. The suction is nice and strong, and doesn't scar counter tops, but it has a tendancy to let loose after a while. Usually just as I am getting ready to do the last couple of apples.

14. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I have some el cheapo kind from the hardware store. Works great. It's a clamp-on type. We get a fair amount of juice drippage but some paper towels takes care of that easily enough.

I've only had it a year, so can't comment on longevity.

15. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Mine is from pampered chef also, but I have seen one at Farm & Fleet that is very similar for less cost. Love it and would not be without one.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Forgive me but I just can't resist taking bragging rights....I too have a Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer/slicer ... and I got it at "Share & Care" in original packaging... for $1.00 :) -- I was so happy someone else had no use for it.

Hugs
    Marlene

17. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

The papmpered chef one is really good, but very expensive, so I got mine at a yard sale. Works really well for potatoes too, if you want them cut thin for drying.

18. perennial

Pampered Chef products are also guaranteed - the Apple Peeler, Corer is guaranteed for 3 years - so if anything goes wrong with it in that time, you send it back with your receipt and they will send you a new one.

I wish you luck in finding the one you want.

19. arcticpixie

arcticpixie Member

Not to drift, but will the Pampered Chef one slice and core without peeling? I like to keep skins on when possible....

20. perennial

articpixie,

The pc one will either peel, slice and core all at once or it will
    just slice and core or YES, just peel.