apple grinder plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ox, Oct 17, 2004.

1. ox

ox Well-Known Member

It's been a banner year here in SW Oregon for apples. We literally have a small hill of them stacked. Mainly it's for the stock but we intend to put up several carboies of cider and vinegar. In the past we have painstakingly ground for the pulp in our champion juicer and pressed it in the cider press. That isn't going to work this year for our big apple cider plans. I know many use sink type garbage disposal units to grind but I'm looking for quick and easy plans for a hand crank model. I found one using google and another in Build it better... (Rodale) Any ideas out there?

2. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

you won't find any hand cranked grinder that will grind your apples as fast and as fine as a garbage disposal. The finer you grind the more juice you get out of the apples If you build a hand grinder that can grind that fine it will take you a week to get through the pile of apples and your arm will fall off. If you use a standard hand grinder it just chunks them and you don't get nearly all the juice out of the apples.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Ditto what Spring77 said. We use a restaurant-grade garbage disposal. It works great.

Costco sometimes has good garbage disposals for a really good price.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I really like the idea of the garbage disposal!

In a few more years I'm going to have more pears than I'll know what to do with and have been considering making perry and pear vinegar.

Do people really use garbage disposals for this? Certainly sounds like it would work, but using one for this would never have occurred to me.

.....Alan.

5. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

How do you keep the garbage disposal from over heating ?Is the juice enough to keep it cool ? Anyone care to describe how they have theirs set up ? Sounds like a great idea!

6. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering. I was told, back when I had a garbage disposal, that you needed to run water while you were running it.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I run water along with the apples to start with. Once I have some juice I run that juice down along with the apples. You really don't need much liquid - the water to start out with isn't enough to worry about.

The commercial disposals can take a whole lot more abuse than the ones for home use. They have a bigger, beefier motor. We burned through 2 regular disposals before buying the commercial one we're using now. When we've tried running the commercial disposal without extra liquid it stops running after about 10 minutes, then starts back up after a couple of minutes to cool off.

Easy. Effective. A heck of a lot cheaper than the special apple mills out there.