Apple Cider Vinegar source

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kimi, May 4, 2005.

1. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

Where can I find the "good " apple cider vinegar, not the store bought kind? Anyone have a recipe for it?

2. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

Check Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living I remember quite a bit about vinegar recipes in there. Also, most health food stores carry the good stuff. My mom kept pushing apple cider vinegar and it's health benefits on me. She was using cheap, store-bought stuff and I informed her that it was not created like real vinegar and then they pasteurize it. She might as well have been taking swigs of distilled white. Needless to say, she no longer bugs me about taking my vinegar. Have you tried the capsules/supplements, they don't taste nearly as strong!

3. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

Capules?? I didn't know there was such a thing but I'll look into that!
    I want some to put in the animals water too, don't think capsules will work for them, might be kinda expensive. :D

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's how I do it: have an applefest in the orchard that is our housing subdivision, make lots of apple juice and try to make cider, then any left over apple juice is vinegary in a few days so I just leave the top off the bottle and let it wholly convert. And the next year as I open the cider if it is already vinegar, or tastes bad otherwise, or we don't finish it, leave the top off the bottle and viola apple cider vinegar. Right now I have about 7 gallons so since we only need a few ounces at a time for most things I use it to decalcify the teakettle and toilets and as a tonic for plants.

So anyway consider stocking up on fresh apple juice/cider (American nonalcoholic kind) if you can get it unpasteurized, then leave top off for a few months. Apple juice from market will be pasteurized, but might still turn properly? Experiment. Shredding the apples is not easy without the kit but if you can get a lot of apples it's worth it (I may donate my kit to the neighborhood when I leave.)

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Bragg's apple cider vinegar is good. It's at health food stores, not cheap though.