Apple blossoms and killer frost for New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NewEnglandBeth, May 12, 2005.

1. NewEnglandBeth

NewEnglandBeth Well-Known Member

Hi, I need some hasty advice. In about two hours, the sun will be setting. Tonight, in New Hampshire, a killer frost is forecasted. My apple trees are in blossom. Should I attempt to cover the trees for tonight? Will a frost kill the blossoms, and disrupt the trees' fruit production? I also have a pear in blossom as well.....

Also, I have quite a few two year old fruit trees and bushes...six blueberries, two mulberries and one cherry...should I get out there and cover them as well? They aren't in blossom, but the leaves are budding out.

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Yes, a frost will kill the blossoms.

What the apple growers here in WA do when frosts move in is run the sprinklers at night. The transition from water to ice actually gives off a bit of heat - that heat will help to keep the blossoms above freezing. Once you get a layer of ice on the blossoms, that layer itself will insulate them.

I wouldn't worry quite so much about the bushes just leafing out. The leaf tips themselves will probably go black, but it won't affect the plant that much.

3. NewEnglandBeth

NewEnglandBeth Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jen, for your advice. I watered the pear and the apple tree which was in almost full bloom. The pear blossoms are a bit browned this morning, but so far the apple blossoms look pretty goood! Tonight it is supposed to get pretty cold again, with rain the rest of the weekend!

We have had very odd weather here....last week, one day crept near 80, then a couple of days afterwards a frost at night!

4. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Beth;
    Where in New Hampshire are you?

Lori - former New Hampshirite!