Appaloosa and Anasazi Beans? Native American Seeds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tarot Farm, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any seed for the Anasazi and Appalooosa Beans? I lost the ones that I had for planting and would like to get untreated seeds.

I am also looking for more varieties of Native American seeds. (The kinds of veggies and stuff that the 'Indians' had in their traditional gardens).

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

5. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Which "indians"? Each nation grew different kinds of plants. All the sweet corn that exists today began originally from the Genesseo, Victor area in New York. Some solidiers pocketed some seed from the corn that they were burning to exterminate the Iroquois. Potatoes from South America as well as Amaranth. Wild rice from Michigan, Wisconsis area. Some like Kentucky Wonder pole beans have been with us unchanged for several centuries. Why not do a google search for the nations in your growing area and ask them directly. People love to talk about what they grow, and you never know what you may learn.

7. Tarot Farm

Well, there are not any 'Nations' in my area...I am in ILL-a-Noise. There are lots of 'wannabes', a very few like me who are mixed Native Americans, who seem to have been able to find each other in this mess...but not any concentration of any Tribe near here.

This is the reason that I made this post to try and locate some seeds.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I used to buy Anasazi beans in the supermarket in CO. If you ask your local supermarket manager to special order the beans you can prob get them much cheaper than seed. also check at www.waltonfeed.com they have anasazi beans.

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

After ordering Anasazi seed from the internet, and the crop failing, I found Arrowhead Mills Anasazi beans in a local health food store. Mitch recently bought 1LB of the beans for $3.29. They were expensive as food but really cheap compared to the cost of ordering seed.

More grocery stores are beginning to carry organic foods and as Cyngbaeld said, you may be able to get your local grocer to carry or at least order them for you.

I plumb forgot we have some store bought Anasazi beans. I don't do the shopping or stocking up the cabinets and sometimes don't know what we have here. I went to the cabinet and checked the weight and price of the package. :help:

Since I'm not familiar with the area we're moving too I plan on buying at least three pounds or more of the beans for seed and food in case I can't find them there right away. If you're interested in having some of these from us, pm me. I'll be happy to share.

10. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I just received my new Vermont Been Seed Catalog and both varieties were listed there, along with quite a few other heritage-type dried beans. give them a try.

-Barb in Montana

11. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

There are a lot of clever suggestions here for getting your desired varieties on the cheap. If you're interested in accessing lots of Native American seed varieties you might want to join the Seed Savers Exchange. Membership is $25 a year (I think) and you can request packets of seed for $1.50 or $2.00 a pack from over 33,000 varieties of plants. If I recall correctly in their latest publication they have somewhere between 300 and 500 varieties of plant seeds of Nativwe American origin.

12. Tarot Farm

Thank you for all of the replies. I am going to start checking them out.

13. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I checked last night its 248 varieties of native american seed. They also have a catalog of seeds you can buy from without membership but the selection is more limited http://www.seedsavers.org/