Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oldest daughter went swimming in the pool yesterday and last night had an ear ache that makes it hurt for her to move her jaw. If this persists, I will contact her doctor tomorrow, but not worried too much with no fever present or other problems/aches or pains. I have tried our traditional alcohol in the ear and warm heating pad last night while she slept.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Warm some honey apply a few drops into the ear. Place a cotton ball in the ear to keep the honey warm

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Remedies
Folk
Alcohol, rubbing Rubbing alcohol not only kills germs but causes water trapped in the ear to evaporate. See the remedies below under vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar If you notice water stopping up your ears, put three or four drops, diluted in equal parts with water or alcohol, in your ear after showering or swimming. This is a good preventive measure against future infection.

Hair dryer Use the warm (never hot!) setting of your hair dryer and place it about an arm's length from the ear and slowly move it back and forth. Test it on your wrist after it has been running a while before using it on the ear. The warm air will evaporate any trapped water.

Vinegar (distilled white) Put 2-3 drops of full strength white vinegar into the ear every two hours. This will be effective against any bacterial or fungal infection.

� Another similar remedy is to make a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and warm water and apply four drops in the ear three times a day for three days. However, the water can harbor bacteria and fungus. One of the other two vinegar remedies is preferred. Pull on the earlobe to straighten out the ear canal. This will get the drops to their destination. The alcohol may sting, but this needs to be done.

� A third vinegar remedy is to make a 50/50 mixture using equal parts of rubbing alcohol and distilled white vinegar. Put the mixture in a clean eyedropper bottle. The alcohol will kill germs and evaporate any water that's trapped in the ear. Use several drops after swimming. Tilt your head and pull your earlobe to get the mixture into the ear canal. This will help cure swimmer's ear or prevent it from happening in the first place. See the caution warning below.

These remedies can be mixed up in a clean eye dropper bottle.

CAUTION: Consult with your doctor before using these remedies if you have ever punctured your eardrum or had ear surgery (including having tubes inserted).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Peroxide works wonderful for earaches. Let it sit in you ear for a few minutes at a time. Do that a few times a day and iwthin a day or to your ear will be pain free

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies. We did the alcohol right off...that's what I've always done for myself as far as swimmers ear is concerned. We did try the vinegar/alcohol and within 2 days the other side was hurting as well and the side that already hurt, hurt worse. So....bought a couple of different drops from the drug store and the second one seems to be helping. Our doc is an OB doc as well and she has been delivering babies so won't be able to see her 'till tomorrow. May not even need her by then...LOL!

Thanks again!
Tracy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I am so careful with ear problems now. i have had two very bad ear problems.

One about 10 years ago.. my ear and the infection was so bad that I lost some of my hearing from it.

Last year, I thought it was a repeat infection as it looked as if I had a golf ball on the side of my face just below my ear. Turns out it was an infection in my salivary glands and that the nerves of that part of the face are the same as the ear. It tool 3 courses of antibotics to make it go away.

So for me if my ear hurts I run to the Dr. I hope her problems are no where that sever but if it persists please get her in to a Dr.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the concern DenverGirlie. Took her to the Doc. today. She has an outer ear infection and was given antibiotic ear drops with a steroid in it for the itching. I try to do as much as I can as long as there is no fever and not severe pain. I don't ignore anything I think may be major. Just ask my kids...LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts