Anything work for dry, cracked heels?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by braggscowboy, Jun 22, 2005.

1. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I am writing this for my wife, who will not take the time to do it, and don't think that there is anything that will work. She would like some help with finding something that will work on dry cracked heels that get very sore. Has anyone tried anything that really works? I know that she will appreciate the information, as will I. Thanks!

2. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Nivea lotion - It's the best. I've tried lots of other stuff including a prescription from a skin doctor. Saw a Consumers Report that it was the top lotion and bought some at Sam's. I haven't had my heels crack for several years now ever since I started using it. Put it on right after a shower/bath and put some socks on at least for a while.

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I don't know what she's used so far but if regular lotions and potions aren't working, she may have a form of athlete's foot. She might want to try an over-the-counter medicated lotion for AF.

/VM

4. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

There are big emery boards for feet. I have one that I use and it works wonders. I put lotion on after using it and then socks. I find that my feet get worse in the summer because I don't wear socks very often.

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

The outer skin is dead. Necessary for protection, but dead. If it gets too thick then, because it's dead and inflexible, it starts to crack. The answer is to thin it down so it's no longer thick, horn-like and inflexible.

Wash feet with warm water and soap, then soak them in warm water for ten minutes, then rub with a towelling washer until the dead skin stops coming off. Dry thoroughly (more skin will come off - don't worry about it, but don't push it either). Allow to dry for a few minutes, then rub some lotion in. Nivea would certainly do, but baby lotion works as well.

Repeat each evening until the problem is fixed.

Keep an eye on things, and use lotion and/or rub down again whenever it becomes necessary.

6. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Is she diabetic, or likely to become? If so she needs to get rid of that hard stuff!

DH had SEVERELY cracked heels & hard callouses (almost like armor!) before he was diagnosed diabetic. A couple of those cracks turned into ulcers and it took MONTHS to get rid of them. One of the problems is, those cracks that turned into ulcered spots can then cause a person to lose a foot! YIKES!

So, searched all over and finally found someone in the same circumstances who recommended the absolutely BEST stuff for the hardened skin...Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula in the pump bottle...available at Walgreens.

Something else that's good, fast acting but I wouldn't use it all the time is Flexitol Heel Balm. (Walgreens) It has urea in it and that's what gets rid of the hard stuff.

If she starts with the Heel Balm it would clear up faster. Takes a little longer just using the Palmer's. Oh, and BTW, while the other Palmer's products are nice, NOTHING works like the Cocoa Butter! Tried 'em!

Should take about 3 weeks (max) to clear up the problem, with 2x daily use.

Mon

7. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Hee hee hee...Could you have made that sound any worse??? The poor woman has a callous on her foot and you have scared off her neighbors for miles around :)

/VM

8. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

My heels often get cracked, and bleeding to the point where it is painful to walk.

What works for me is:
    1. thick lotion and sleeping with socks on
    2. wearing lace up shoes. Hurts to put them on, but the support helps to hold my heel together and allow it to heal.

I"m a barefoot kinda gal, but when they start cracking, I have no choice but to wear shoes. I hate it, but it works (for me at least)

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I use an olive oil/sugar scrub on my feet to get rid of calluses and soften them up. Just put a teaspoon of sugar in the palm of one hand, add about a quarter sized blob of olive oil and rub it into the callused area. Then wash your feet off with soap and warm water. Follow that with a good lotion.

If she's tried the different scrubs and lotions with no success, than have her try scrubbing her feet and using an athlete's foot spray. That fungus doesn't act the same way in everybody, and it'll clear up quickly if athlete's foot is the problem.

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Soak, scrub, and then bag balm you will have to put socks on because that stuff is greasy but it works great!! We use it on just about everything.

11. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

emu oil balm. You can get it at just about any drugstore..put it on twice a day and wear cotton socks.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a product called Kerasal that is made specifically for cracked heels. It works better than anything else I've tried.

13. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

EMU???? EEEPPP!!!! I am outta here!!!! LOL :haha:

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Don Armstrong gave the same advice a podiatrist (sp) gave me a few years back. The problem is not really dry skin the problem is that callous develops to protect the heel when going barefoot or wearing sandals. And then because it is not living tissue it cannot stretch when we put weight on that heel. Removal of the callous is the only cure just as many of us have finger tips that split in the winter they are indeed very very painful. I got my DH a foot tool that looks a tiny bit like a cheese grader LOL only much smaller and he uses that after a shower each and every time and has had no further trouble. Also puting on a good lotion and finding a way to keep it on the foot over night would soften that callous making removal easier. For our hands we lather up with good lotion and then put on a non latex plastic glove with non affected finger tips removed for air passage and that works wonders too. As does super glue if you just want to end the misery for one day!

15. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Hey, I'm speaking from personal experience here. It's not necessarily just a callous - it's a build-up of skin, thicker and thicker. A callous is there in response to wear and tear, and is more-or-less self-limited by the friction that makes it arise. This can just happen - well, did to me, although it is worst around the edge of the soul/heel where there is some callous.

Oh, I could have made it sound worse, all right. I first had a shorter word than horn-like, although it started out the same way. Fortunately, I realised what I was saying before I published it.

16. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Fine grain sand paper works just as well on your feet as those expensive emergy board thingies they sell for outrageous prices....rub lotion into feet well then lightly sand with the sand paper....then more lotion....more sanding....just don't sand down to the quick....more lotion then sleep with cotton socks on your feet....

17. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Bathe before bed, then glob on Vaseline jelly and white cotton socks. In the morning you will notice an improvement. In a few days, you will notice a vast improvement.

18. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Well-Known Member

19. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Soak and scrub.

If she's diabetic, pure lanolin is a great choice, and it's very cheap --- but it needs to be pure lanolin and she needs to take the time to rub it into her heels and allow it to emulsify. It will come in a tube and cost maybe 99 cents a tube.

Me, I've used Bag Balm, Nivea and Albolene, and all are great. I usually slather it on, then put socks on to let the stuff work.

I tried Kerasol and didn't like it. Didn't do a thing. But I do like this stuff from Avon --- it's a scrub that smells like clove --- I use it in the tub every day or so.

I used the big gritty emery boards for years, but now my feet are too soft for them. :D

20. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I have the same symptoms, turns out I have psoriasis/eczema in combination.
    Doc gave me several different steroid salves to try. Nothing stops it, and there are side effects I don't care for (Thinning of the skin, etc)

I will side with the person that said pure lanolin. You will have to purchase it from a pharmacy, but it's cheap and goes a long way. I put mine on and sleep in socks. If it's just dry cracked skin, this could certainly heal it. Mine hasn't healed, just been kept more pliable.

I, too, use sanding to get rid of some of the layers, which helps a bit.

Another choice is Corona ointment, sold at your local Tractor supply store. Huge 12 ounce jar for less than ten dollars. It has a lot of lanolin and other ingredients in it. My granddaughter's pediatrician recommended it for prevention and treatment of diaper rash, so I don't worry much about putting in on human feet.

Something else I've used as a change is A & D ointment found in the baby care aisle.

All require socks once applied, and be liberal with the stuff, none of it will break the bank.

I sure hope this will help your wife. Personally, I'd love to be able to wear sandals again in public, but I don't think that will happen.

Good luck!

HipshotHanna