Anything that can be planted in zone 6a right now?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by via media, Jul 7, 2006.

1. via media

via media Tub-thumper

My parents live in zone 6a. They've pulled what was left of the peas; are there any veggies they can plant right now to fill in the empty space?

TIA!

/VM

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I was just looking at a packet of turnip seed and thinking I'd like some greens. Those could go in now... Lots of fall-type crops, I would think...

But more GREEN BEANS for sure! I do love my green beans!

Pony!

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Thanks everyone! I'll pass your suggestions along.

/VM

6. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I'm thinking just about everything. You'll want to focus on short-season melons if you want to get a crop in before frost. Gardeners give up far too early on their gardens, in my humble opinion. You've got AT LEAST another 100 or more frost-free days of growing in Zone 6 - even 6a. And then you've got fall garden until Christmas or nearly. (Fall is beans, peas, carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, pumpkins, help-me-out-folks, what else?)

Since you are in the heat of summer, you'll do best transplanting seedlings (except for fine seeds) to have a successful start. You've still got plenty of time for a round of summer squash, corn, beans, etc. In August, you can transplant the fall garden.

Take a look at the garden link at the top of the Gardening & plant forum for when your first frost date is expected. Virtually everything in the fall garden can take frost and many crops improve as the temperatures drop below 40.

From my chair, I see plenty of garden season ahead for you!
    BW