Anything handmade swap - Sign up

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials' started by AngieM2, Oct 10, 2017.

1. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I do the majority of it in the crockpot until it reaches applesauce stage and then cook it down in the oven at 250 degrees until it gets as thick as I want it to be. I stir it every 20 minutes or so. My mother-in-law used lots of cinnamon to make it a nice rich dark brown color.

2. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

Kentucky, between the Bluegrass and the Mountains.
    Well, I am finished canning for the year. I ended up with 12 half pints of apple butter. I did 6 in my first batch and 6 in the second batch. It was amazing to me how many apples it took to make just that much. One peck for each 6 half pints!! I will never take apple butter for granted again! I loved doing it in the roaster in the oven. :) Thank you again, CoSunflower, for the inspiration. :)

3. COSunflower

I'm glad that your apple butter turned out good Meima!!! It amazes me also how many apples it takes to cook down for a jar of applesauce also. The sweeter and crunchier that apple, the more it takes because there is so much water in the apple that has to evaporate. That is why the green Gravestein apple and other green or more sour apples that have a harder flesh make the best sauce etc. There is more substance to them. I used to have a little Northern Spy apple tree that had a reddish peel but a very dense, sourish flesh. It made the BEST apple sauce ever!!!

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  4. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

Wow! I know nothing about all of this, and I LOVE learning about it! I will remember this for next year. Thank you. :

COSunflower likes this.
  5. COSunflower

We had two orchards with lots of different fruits on our farm when I was young and I started helping my grandma can before I was even in school!!! She was a nurse and in the summer would leave a note on the table telling me what fruit to pick that day for canning. I had a small box and would pick up the fruit that fell onto the ground. After dinner we would make sauces, jams, jellies etc. We had a huge garden that I helped my grandpa with each day. He stayed home with me as he had a bad heart and had to retire early. I remember one evening that we had put beans in the canner before dinner....we were eating dinner and KABOOM!!!! The pressure cooker exploded and beans went EVERYWHERE - even up on the ceiling along with broken glass etc. :( I remember watching from the doorway while my poor grandma cleaned it up. I couldn't help till the glass was all up and then I washed down the cupboards on the bottom, stove, refrig etc. while she was up on the ladder doing the upper walls and ceiling. :(

6. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

Is there a approximate dollar value for the items in the swap box we are sending out ?
    I did not catch this in any of the reading I have done for this swap.

7. babydumpling25

babydumpling25 Well-Known Member

has anyone heard from Belfry bat this week I have not heard from her in almost 2 weeks worried about her?

8. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm here. Sorry, I thought I'd replied to your last post. I may have forgotten to hit "send" -- I'll check it out and write this afternoon.

As to swap costs. We've never set a $$ amount, but everyone does what they are comfortable with. Since this is a homemade swap, I doubt the supplies anyone is using will cost very much. Some people make one item and others make several. Some also will buy some small items, like tea or chocolate to add to their packages. But that is totally up to the individual. There is no expectation that any of us will purchase anything except the supplies to make our gifts.

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  9. Belfrybat

How is everyone doing? I've finished one gift for Sandy (Babydumpling) and am working on her main gift. Finding just exactly the right components to make the gift was a fun challenge -- I love scavenger hunts! Now I'm trying to decide whether to add a couple of edible goodies in the box. What do any of you think?

10. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

Working on Judy's gifts now.
    Had a little problem with, but got it worked out to my satisfaction.
    On to other things for the box.

COSunflower and Belfrybat like this.
  11. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

I am working on Jackie's (MoBookworm) things, would have had more done if the package of velcro had of had everything in it!!

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  12. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

I have been making my list and checking it more than twice!! Kim has a lifetime of being very, very good! What a beautiful soul! This is a wonderful Christmas tradition!

13. COSunflower

You're too kind Meima!!! I am almost done with Meima's main gift - have to find a couple more items to finish it. I need to find a box the right size....This is definitely FUN!!!! I think YOU have been very good Debbie also!!! :) When one of my Bandon granddaughter's is here this week we will go "scouting around".....Hee Hee!!!

14. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

How is everyone doing on their gifts?

15. MoBookworm1957

Pretty good.
    Now that I have corrected crochet pattern boo boo.

16. Belfrybat

I'm finished and am waiting for Babydumpling to respond to my PM. Even though the deadline to mail is the 10th, since that falls on a Sunday, how about we extend out to Wednesday, December 15th? That way we mail in plenty of time to miss the Christmas rush. Remember to try and coordinate with your partner so you mail and receive at about the same time.

17. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

I love you idea to extend to the 15th! The timing is perfect. :)

18. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

I've started gathering the special items on my Christmas list. You know, checking it twice and all of that magic stuff! :) I'll use a box instead of a "pack" and the mail instead of the chimney! This is SUCH fun! I imagine this is how "Santa" feels.
    Happy wishes to All,
    Meima

19. Belfrybat

I agree, Meima. This is a fun swap and I feel like I've made a new friend here on the board. I have the main two gifts made, another traded for from a neighbour. Now I'm considering edible goodies. I'll use a Regional Rate A box which is just a tad smaller than a medium flat rate but so much cheaper to mail. So after I put in the main gifts I'll see whatever else I can stuff into.

Everyone -- remember to take pics of what you send and receive. This swap is much more fun with pics.

Meima6 and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  20. MoBookworm1957

The later date works for me.

COSunflower likes this.