Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on one of my college classes: Grant Writing. For that class we were tasked with writing a grant for a local nonprofit. I chose a hometown food pantry who just so happens has been asked to leave their present building. They have found one that they think will work and that is what I am basing my project on. The director has been helping me with figures and facts, but she is gone right now and I need to get an idea of how long a rennovation job would take. I need to write up an evaluation of how long the goal of gutting a 10,000 square foot building, then building a large classroom, offices, bathrooms, storage area and food pantry would take. The electric and HVAC are both already there and in good condition. Would 6 months be to short of a time? I have no idea how long something like this might take, and want to be realistic on my project sheet which is due tonight at Midnight. My bad for not looking at this assignment sooner so I had time to figure this out. Can anyone give me some ideas on this? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
I am working on one of my college classes: Grant Writing. For that class we were tasked with writing a grant for a local nonprofit. I chose a hometown food pantry who just so happens has been asked to leave their present building. They have found one that they think will work and that is what I am basing my project on. The director has been helping me with figures and facts, but she is gone right now and I need to get an idea of how long a rennovation job would take. I need to write up an evaluation of how long the goal of gutting a 10,000 square foot building, then building a large classroom, offices, bathrooms, storage area and food pantry would take. The electric and HVAC are both already there and in good condition. Would 6 months be to short of a time? I have no idea how long something like this might take, and want to be realistic on my project sheet which is due tonight at Midnight. My bad for not looking at this assignment sooner so I had time to figure this out. Can anyone give me some ideas on this? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.
God bless you and yours
Deb

............I would think first off you'd want to draw up a floor plan for the basic layout of all 10,000 sq. feet ! By doing this you are forced to allocate the floor space for the requirements for the various parts of the building . Once you've draw up the floor plan layout and their respective dimensions , this , then becomes the schematic that you will give a copy to the framers , electrician , plumber , and HVAC so they can write up their estimates . Even though the HVAC equipment is already present , a whole new duct system will be running new ducts for the new floor plan .
.............The building may need a new floor and If SO , that will require an estimate all by itself ! The various contractors will need to be sequenced so that they are not interfering with each other while working on each part of the remodel . You'll also need estimates for sheetrock , insulation , and painting as well . The common denominator for your proposal will probably cost per square foot .
.............I would find another home town food pantry , and see how they have allocated their floor space . See if they have a copy of the basic floorplan layout and you can adapt their dimensions to your specific project . , fordy

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
fordy has shared his expertise with you offering the correct way to calculate specifications that will dictate budget and time allowance for the project. I'd like to also add in the fact that project time can be effected by contractor selected/hired, number of crew/schedules, delayed building inspections, and unexpected problems during the gutting of the building such as asbestos, structural mold, and a host of other issues. For gutting and renovation of that size building with no additional concrete drying time needed, I'd say double your estimate of 6 months. I'm retired but one of my job duties was working with non profits in writing grants for special projects. Thankfully my role was only as a team facilitator of the process and not as the final co-signer of the grant applications. Good luck with the rest of your class project.

oh, just curious but is there a community kitchen included within the project?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts