Homesteading Forum banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I fear I am still in the dark ages as still look up what i think it is in Petersons and READ the description of the call....... BUT my son has a great application on his cell phone where he delights in playing a call I have not heard before behind my back just to keep me alert :)
My dentist of all people has an app like that. He goes to Wisconsin to look for owls. He knows it’s the same area we snowmobile in so he couldn’t wait to show me the calls and some pics he took.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
I didn't realize a bird would call in the middle of the night. Thought that was just owls. Read they eat tent caterpillars - how helpful! I love nature. Is there any end to the perfection of it all? I also read they are common in my area and yours but shy.

How did you research from a sound? Just curious.... as I have the same question sometimes.
Some birds do call in the middle of the night. Around here, one can hear owls, whip-o-wills, night hawks, and loons. In addition to these, we often hear geese and swans squawking and flapping their wings. I assume this happens when a predator may be near its nest.

I had a suspicion that the sound we heard the other night was a cuckoo because we have friends in Wisconsin that talk about the cuckoos in their woods and it kind of sounded like a cuckoo clock. :)

Reactions: wdcutrsdaughter

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
Maybe someone can help me. My neighbor stopped by this morning. We were sitting on the porch,talking about everything. He mentioned a bird he and his wife saw. I said I saw it too. None of us had seen it before.

It had a long thin tail feather with a minor flared fan. It was about the size of a Mockingbird, but longer because of that tail feather. Kind of looked like a Mockingbird. He called it greenish. I couldn't say for sure what color it was. I'd say dark brown/tan. It could have been green.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
We have 6 pairs of Tree Swallows nesting in boxes which help keep the insect population down .
They return every year , probably the same family members and offspring from last year.
Some years we will have a pair of bluebirds in box , always a challenge for them with so many Swallows to contend with.
Unusual bird sightings recently was a Three toed Wood Pecker. They are the ones that strip the bark off of dead softwood trees looking for bugs under the bark.. A Scarlet Tanager and a couple Baltimore Orioles passed through and the Rose breasted Grosbeak can be heard singing often, Hermit Thrushes too, the flutists.
Hummingbirds been here for a few weeks at the feeder.
Seen two different occupied Osprey nests this year while canoeing, lots of different hawks passing through earlier.
Bald Eagles are now common here and see them frequently, just need to look up.
No woodcock this year so far, unusual.

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
We don't have those here so it wouldn't have crossed my mind.
It's a neat looking bird though.
It may be new to this area. I have only seen one. My neighbor grew up here and is almost 80, has never seen it before.

I am seeing tons of indigo buntings this year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have a House Wren presumably raising a family in a decorative bird house on my front porch, keep getting just glimpses of him/her coming and going but despite being just a few feet from my front door window cant seem to get a picture of them, perhaps when they start feeding I can get a picture. These guys are regulars in one bird box or another on our property but they may wish me to clean out the previously used ones or build them new homes... I will work on it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Our bird adventure this has been the 'fledging' of nesting wood ducks. They've nested in the same tree for some years now.
This year, just happened to catch in action moving the chicks from tree to presumably water.

Mama Duck took to the ground and one by one the ducklings plopped out of the tree. No attempt to fly, just plopped. When all 6 had landed, she made off towards the corn field w/babies behind her. She made bank, I tell ya! They were under cover of the field in no time at all. The field leads to a creek, which is where we guessed they were headed. Neat to see it happen. All said and done in 2 minutes.

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
My brother saw a Myna bird in his garage yesterday.

I have had two male mockingbirds fighting in the yard for two days now.

Reactions: no really

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
We have one of those great crested flycatchers nesting in a box on a white pine here. Witnessed her grab a yellow swallowtail butterfly right out of the air!
Those house wrens are so cute. Lucky you have them running the general store. love it!

And a Myna is pretty, had to look it up....

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
We have one of those great crested flycatchers nesting in a box on a white pine here. Witnessed her grab a yellow swallowtail butterfly right out of the air!
Those house wrens are so cute. Lucky you have them running the general store. love it!

And a Myna is pretty, had to look it up....
Are Myna birds pets? They don't belong around here.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts