anyone want to talk wild birds?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wdcutrsdaughter, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Rural Kanuck

Rural Kanuck Well-Known Member

The Cedar Waxwings are shown as year round residents here in this part of SW Ont but I dont usually see them till this week...... I have not yet seen them this year but did see our Oriole yesterday.

IlliniosGal and wdcutrsdaughter like this.
  2. snowlady

snowlady Well-Known Member

Oooh those are pretty! I put out the last suet cake tonight. This weekend I will start with the hummingbird feeder.

101pigs likes this.

3. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Spent the last 6 days at the new place. Put out the hummingbird feeder and has one the next day. the whip-or-will came back tuesday.

wdcutrsdaughter and IlliniosGal like this.
  4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

wdcutrsdaughter likes this.
  5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

One of my dogs likes to sit at the storm door watching the wild birds and I like the sound of them in the oak trees that canopy my house, so for the last 6 or 7 years, twice a day I use a 2 liter soda bottle that I cut a fist sized hole about half way up the side to use to scoop birdseed into the bottom of to use as a funnel to fill a bird feeder with for the smaller birds and to pour a line of seed on the walkway out front for the larger birds for the dog to watch.

While most of the birds go up in the tree canopy when I go out to feed , two cardinals that have been around since late last year limb hop or fly close to me as I walk out with the funnel bottle and one that I call "Red" and talk to like a pet bird will take a break from the seed to follow me and the dogs to the free run kennel pen and perch on the fence and chirp and cock his head at me and the bird watching dog as I talk to him and she sits and cocks her head back at him and blows air through her jowls instead of barking for a minute or so before he flies back into the oaks.

During the day when me and the dogs come back in while most of the 10 to 20 birds go high into the oaks , Red and a few limb hop close to s and chirp or just ignore us and keep feeding.

If i don't have the walkway feed out in the morning as the birds start chirping, Red will perch on my kitchen window ledge and peck the window when he sees me.

To me the bird song in my oaks is well worth the 70 pounds of wild bird seed i buy at TSC every 6 weeks or so. I wish I understood cardinal so I knew what all Red was saying to me besides "Where's the breakfast buffet dude?" :)

dmm1976, wdcutrsdaughter and snowlady like this.
  6. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

I agree! The mornings here on the porch or the deck it’s a symphony of wild bird songs. Reminds me every day how fortunate I am to live in the Big Woods.

Shrek, HDRider and wdcutrsdaughter like this.
  7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Birds singing is much nicer music than stereo booming.
    I remember when I was little how on early summer mornings the calls of the Bob Whites could be heard through my bedroom window.
    Having a naturally vented house with no air conditioning and being close to bird habitat is a great combination.

Here it's the Song sparrow and various wren chorus that can be heard early in the morning.

I was cleaning the living room last night and found a treasure under the couch. There was Warblers of Ohio bird sounds cd there. Now if I could find my owl calls cd, my known collection will be together again. I just need to load them on a micro sd. My car has a sync port and I can play songs stored on a phone through the stereo in the car.

8. Danaus29

I was blessed to see a pair of Red-headed woodpeckers this afternoon. I haven't seen one for several years.

9. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

If you join the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge FB page, pics of a really cool fight between tree swallows and a prothonatory warbler were posted today. They were fighting over a nesting cavity.

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

We have lots of those here in the swamps and along the many creeks and rivers.
    [​IMG]

vicki in NW OH likes this.
  11. Danaus29

I saw a pileated woodpecker yesterday, heard it before I saw it. It was screaming about something.

Then there was a female bluebird following the lawnmower.

I'm not sure what type of swallows were swooping and calling overhead while I was digging weeds out, but they were neat to watch.

12. Rural Kanuck

Rural Kanuck Well-Known Member

Most of the birdies are hiding here with our extreme (for us) heat of over 30c but we did have an Indigo Bunting pop into the feeder a couple of days ago for the first time this year, he is seen passing through most years ...... but the Golden Winged Warbler that showed up shortly after was a new one for me.
    Our male Humming Bird is back but I have not seen any of his 'girls' yet despite my rush to get those feeders out. The other visitor to the feeder is of course the Chipmunk who thinks the feeder is just for him!

IlliniosGal likes this.
  13. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

Saw my first hummingbird yesterday. I know they've been local for weeks now but I don't put out food so I don't see them until the azaleas bloom. They are just about to open.

Still looking for the indigo buntings.....no luck

Rural Kanuck and IlliniosGal like this.
  14. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

We had 7 Indigo Buntings in the driveway on Sunday. There must be something they like there - see them there quite frequently.

Years ago when we lived up 8 miles of dirt road we would see them all the time in the road.

My wife has had success in keeping the Baltimore Orioles around for a couple weeks now. They are so neat to watch. Also the crew of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have stayed around also.

This has been a great year for birds. Has prompted me to buy another camera and a couple lenses and start shooting again.