Homesteading Forum banner

181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
We've had Ring Necked Pheasants pass through here a few times.
Situated in a 3 acre field surrounded by woods you never know what you will see next.
Couple days ago a Ruffed Grouse was on the ground in the field. Wouldn't have known it
were it not for my Tree Swallows dive bombing it. This went on for 15 minutes or so.
Tree swallows 6 in a row at times swooped down on it letting it know it wasn't wanted
around their nest boxes. Comical watching it all with the grouse ducking each attack.
Scarlet Tanager flew across the field yesterday, perching briefly before moving on.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
I've been seeing quite a few roadrunners, dove, quail, red tailed hawks, crows and hummingbirds.

Reactions: Lisa in WA

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
My neighbor swears he saw a roadrunner way up here.
Wow, gypsy roadrunner. We have a lot of birders come out to the ranch here, they talk about seeing birds out of their usual places.

Reactions: HDRider

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
The Bald Eagles in the nest that is on camera have one baby so far - at least only one has poked its head out from under its mother's wing. This pair have nested in the lower nest.

A few years ago a pair built a nest right along the road running by the Yukon River along the park. They were there for a few years with cars and trucks whizzing by and people and dogs walking by all the time.

The nest was on the verge of collapse so the local Electric company set about shoring it up when they had left. They continued using it but one year did not appear. They were spotted in the forest on the other side of the road building a new nest. This one was also not much of an engineering feat so the Electric company built a huge nesting pole for them (with advice from ornithologists) and they return every year.

Incredibly beautiful eagles. When you get close to them (and not even that close as we are not allowed) their size is more than impressive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kind of quiet here on the bird front but our House Wrens were busy getting their young ones to emerge and test their wings and I see at least one young Grosbeak in the feeder which is why the parent have been VERY vocal in the last few days I gess. The birds just like us seem to be resting in the extreme heat of the last couple of weeks but should become a little more active now its cooled off a little.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The Bluebird next box is empty, so they must have taken off. I missed it.

The Wren house hanging on the porch is very busy, and boy are the young loud. They will be taking off soon, getting brave and peeking out the hole in the birdhouse. I hope to be in the right place at the right time and see them leave the nest.

The bird bath is a busy place here early morning and around 4:00 in the afternoon.
Good entertainment!

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
Update - I told you about the hunt-club refugee pheasant around here. I have not seen Mr. Pheasant so much since I quit feeding the steers.

I hear him off in the distance crow more often than I see him.

He is either lonely, or hungry. He used to eat corn after the steers. As I said, I am not feeding them anymore. BTW - They taste great!

Well, Mr. Pheasant is visiting the barn lot with my chickens,,, and my dogs.

Rollo sensed Mr. Pheasant this morning and Loki ran him off.

He is back now. It is so hot the dogs are not stirring much. Even the squirrels are safe

Maybe he will be allowed to stay and be the lonely rooster for all my lonely hens..

·
Registered
569 Posts
I really need to get some pics...

My wife has been successful in keeping a couple pairs of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Baltimore Oriole here this year - first time ever! The past couple weeks we’ve been enjoying watching the parents bring their fledglings to the feeders and teaching them how to feed themselves.

It’s fun to watch - the fledglings can and will feed themselves until Mom or Pop comes around - then they will squawk and flutter their wings like when they were younger to get them to feed them again.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
On Sunday, something we haven't seen before in the woods in front of the house. A flock, of what I think was tuffed titmouse birds, and also some small brown sparrows flying from tree to tree. There were so many ( >20) and so small and way up in the pines, kind of hard to see. DH wondered if they already started migration. I've been reading about it and the little titmice birds stay here so maybe it wasn't them, or maybe they weren't leaving, just visiting a different part of the woods.
I kind of like the mystery to it, I don't need solid answers, but I am sure there are others more well versed in this topic.

Either way I realized, yes, migration south is beginning for some of these mighty little creatures. Can't help but be in awe.

·
Premium Member
24,824 Posts
Here the titmouse babies have fledged and the parents are bringing them to the feeder teaching them how to forage.
The grackles are usually the first to start gathering to migrate. This is the first year I have seen them at my feeders.
My House Wren babies have fledged, I got to watch them when I was potting plants a few days ago.
I also have seen young Red-bellied woodpeckers in my crab apple tree. I don't know if they are eating bugs or sitting there crying for their parents to come feed them.
I watched some young Canadian geese learning how to fly a few days ago. One took a wrong turn and nearly crashed into my parked car. I hope it learns to fly better before they try crossing the interstate.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I have several (20+) greek mullein plants growing out front. Lately the smallest downy woodpecker has been feeding on the seeds. Just now there were 4 of them, what a treat.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts