Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know the wood thrush?
I love their song(!!!) and I am listening hard to see if they have arrived here yet.
looks like I will be waiting until June according to this:

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/woothr/introduction

Have they stopped by your place yet?

What about the American woodcock?
I heard some last night --- what a kazoo sound they make!
I love them too

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Woodcock/sounds

call me bird crazy, I've had a lot of extra time for bird watching lately.
It's amazing how far they fly and using the constellations as navigation.
Tiny survivors.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was walking our dogs in the trails this morning and thought I was hearing cicadas in the distance! Then I thought that it must be frogs.
Nope, it were woodcocks it was. I can never see those little fellas but they do make a sound to make me smile.

If you ever do have the pleasure of seeing one you will also smile. They have the most curious walk.
When we first saw one, it was a Sunday morning and it came strutting across our back "lawn." It had a baby with it and we were both so stunned by the walking!! I called it a Sunday morning miracle.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
I have a couple large owls in my neighborhood. We hoot back and forth a lot. I just hope I'm saying nice things to them............;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have several bird feeders in my yard, though the last few days it has been mostly Grackles, mourning doves and red wing black birds.

Not seeing many migrants yet, did see a brown creeper yesterday and heard an eastern Phoebe. Still seeing Juncos and Tree Sparrow which are winter birds here. I have a cardinal pair that has been here for years and see them throughout the day. along with a ring necked pheasant cock and his two girlfriends in my "for the wildlife" pasture.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was walking our dogs in the trails this morning and thought I was hearing cicadas in the distance! Then I thought that it must be frogs.
Nope, it were woodcocks it was. I can never see those little fellas but they do make a sound to make me smile.
That is not a woodcock in that picture, not sure what it is some type of Rail maybe?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Cool birds! I love them (though I don't feed them to avoid attracting rodents).

We have hooded mergansers in our pond for the second year in a row though we're a stop-over. I'm thinking about putting some nesting boxes up maybe next year.

I saw a bald eagle fly-by a few weeks ago before geese returned.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Aldo Leopold wrote that the call of Canada geese embodied his perception of the wild. The calls of sandhill cranes do it for me. They arrived 2 days ago. Purple finches arrived about 4 days ago and swans 2 weeks ago. I will get many species at the feeders. Some are just passing through, some stay.

Woodcock are very difficult targets. They dipsy-doodle when they fly. About the time you pull the trigger they dipsy or doodle. I don't hunt them on purpose but sometimes one gets up when I'm grouse hunting.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Every year at around this time the wild swans and geese arrive - many thousands land on the lakes and rivers (still very frozen) and there is one Bird Sanctuary close to town. Every year people flock there to watch the birds. Not many going this year. Bird counting is still on going.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the grackles shiny feathers, and the phobe's call. That hooded mergansers bird! Never saw one before, pretty.
I don't feed the birds either, other than leaving the wildflowers (aster, tick weed, coneflower, goldenrod) for them to eat the seeds if they choose. They also liked the crab apple tree. A whole flock of cedar waxwing (12-14 of them) were hanging out one day eating the rotted apples that are still hanging.
I've never seen a purple finch either but I do see a lot of eastern bluebirds lately.
I have also seen bald eagles, but not near my home, 20 miles east, closer to the sea.
They seem to like the inland marshes.
So much diversity, so much entertainment.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So happy you see bluebirds, Wdcutrsdaughter! I haven't in a while. I don't have an birds houses at all but I'd like to put some up if I can keep the invasive house sparrows from them.

My uncle "raises" purple martins. I may have him help me attract some.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
we used to feed the birds, but life got in the way for awhile. I would like to start doing it again.
I don't know one bird from another, hardly. but they are peaceful to watch.
one time I was building a house and there was a tree nearby whose leaves were not all filled in yet. a flock of about 30 cardinals hung out in it for awhile, just on that one day..
I like the wren's call.
robins are back, now. but I don't consider it summer until the redwing blackbird gets here..
If you want to see eagles up close, do as I did.
let about 30 baby chicks and guineas run loose ..
I lost about half a dozen before I realized he was hanging around.. what a smorgas board , eh ?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Right now I’m seeing robins! Spring is on its way! I have blue jays by the dozen, purple finches, sparrows, immature blackbirds, a couple of cardinals, thrushes, and a few others. In a while I’ll have orioles, blue buntings, grackles, cow birds, yellow finches and a larger yellow bird. Not sure what that one is. Rose breasted grosbeaks and 3-4 kinds of wood peckers. Love my birds.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
Do you know the wood thrush?
I love their song(!!!) and I am listening hard to see if they have arrived here yet.
looks like I will be waiting until June according to this:

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/woothr/introduction

Have they stopped by your place yet?

What about the American woodcock?
I heard some last night --- what a kazoo sound they make!
I love them too

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Woodcock/sounds

call me bird crazy, I've had a lot of extra time for bird watching lately.
It's amazing how far they fly and using the constellations as navigation.
Tiny survivors.
The hermit thrush is our all time favorite song bird. It's a flute-like song, the song doesn't repeat, it is ethereal. It serenades us to sleep at night and wakes us at dawn. It reminds us of what Heaven must sound like.

We recorded the song of the Hermit Thrush, a couple of years ago, in the video below (you can hear a Phoebe in the background).

·
Premium Member
24,788 Posts
I finally saw the bird yelling, "cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger cheap". Been looking for it for several years! Sings only during breeding season. Anyway, it's a type of wren, possibly Carolina wren. Have to double check to be sure.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts